cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series link+

Chazzy
Tuning in

Hi, I've just upgraded to 360 and I'm trying to set up my recordings. Are we able to series link+ like we could on Tivo? I used to have lots of series that I had picked up half way through, so the series link pulled the catch up programmes through for me.

Also, are we going to be able to set up recordings for programmes that aren't due to be on yet? On Tivo we could just type in a programme and set up a series link to pick it up whenever it was due to be on, now if I type in a programme that isn't due to be on for say 6 months, it doesn't come up at all or it shows random youtube videos.....

Basically wishing I hadn't upgraded at this point haha

TIA

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've hit on some of the areas where TV360 is different to TiVo/V6.

A TV360 SL can only be set when a programme is in the 14day EPG, a TiVo SL can be set from a single VoD entry.

TiVo SL's are more configurable than TV360 ones, multi-channel and (I believe) VoD shortcuts are some of the differences.

Conversions to TV360 are voluntary at present.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I honestly thought an upgrade would actually be an upgrade......unfortunately it would appear that other than the new shiny interface, it is a complete downgrade! 

Yes, the change is about VM moving away from the licensed TiVo software (which obviously has some license cost) and onto their own in-house software as used by other Liberty Global companies around the world, rather than being about improved software. I believe the only benefit of the 360 is the voice control (if you're bothered about that) and a more modern looking interface (though sounds like that generally just makes it more awkward to use). There are quite a few other features missing as well, many of which TiVo have patents on, so they are unlikely to be returning in the future.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Horizon software, which is branded in the UK as TV360, is indeed being phased across all of LG's operations and VM-UK is no exception.

You are comparing a very mature & stable platform (TiVo) with one that's relatively new and is continuing to improve - in contrast, VM's TiVo development is now (almost certainly) what it is.

Anyone choosing to convert should do so in full understanding of the differences - cold comfort to the OP here but the reality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Unfortunately my downfall is giving the benefit of doubt, so when I was told the only changes would be I wouldn't get All4, that I would lose my current recordings and have to re set up my series links, I believed that.

I've just spoke to VM who have said I can go back to V6 if I pay £35 for the privilege!

@Chazzy wrote:

Unfortunately my downfall is giving the benefit of doubt, so when I was told the only changes would be I wouldn't get All4, that I would lose my current recordings and have to re set up my series links, I believed that.

I've just spoke to VM who have said I can go back to V6 if I pay £35 for the privilege!

.....I'm afraid that is ill-information also as under normal circumstances, converting from TiVo to 360 is a one way trip.

You cannot go back to TiVo once you have updated to 360(unless this process has changed recently)...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Chazzy 

I sincerely wish you good luck in getting a rollback back to the V6. Once upgraded it's supposed to be irreversible.

Just for info, the 360 does now have the All4 app.

The current list of apps on the 360 is:-  Al Jazeera, All 4, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, Britbox, CNN, Deutsche Welle, France 24, ITV Hub, My5, Netflix, Prime Video, Radio Line, STV Player, TV Channel Upgrades, VEVO, VM Store, WSJ, You Tube and You Tube Kids.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have some sympathy with VM here, that they can't be expected to highlight shortcomings in a new product unless a user specifically asks. So that's possibly 50/50.

@Chazzy wrote:

Unfortunately you've been misadvised. A conversion from TiVo/V6 to 360 is 1: Voluntary, and 2: Irreversible.

I would love to be proven wrong on point 2.