cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY SPORTS ULTRA HD

wokelly
On our wavelength

I just acquired Sky Sports Ultra HD and the picture is very dull with terrible colour. The normal Sky Sports HD channel is great. If I change my brightness and colour settings for the ULTRA HD channel I have to change back for any other channel. Which is hugely irritating, especially as I like to flick around. The BT UltraHD channel is the same for contrast and colour as their HD channels. Is this a fixable teething glitch, or is this as good as it gets for my old telly? Because I will discontinue the service if it does not change. No drama, the  HD is fine anyway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ozsat
Superstar
The Sky Sports UHD channels use HDR/HLG - and your tv needs to be able to cope with that to get correct brightess and colour.
==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

ozsat
Superstar
The Sky Sports UHD channels use HDR/HLG - and your tv needs to be able to cope with that to get correct brightess and colour.
==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @wokelly 

This is due to the Sky Sports UHD channels being broadcast in 10 bit HDR HLG and a number of older and less expensive TV's can't process it.

Some TV's have setting options that allow users to turn off HDR HLG or use 8 bits rather then 10 bits on their panel settings.

The main culprits seem to be Samsung TV's, and forum advice suggests checking that the gamma setting isn't too high, try 2.2

On my older LG Nano TV it improves if I turn off HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

xRegx101
Tuning in

Hello, if I have the Ultra HD add on do I also need to have the HD add on or is this included in the Ultra

IMG_0343.jpeg

HD add on. 

Hey xRegx101,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I have just had this confirmed as I was not 100% sure but you would need to add HD sports to have the Ultra HD sports add on.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Just to add something onto the mix. The inlaws have Sky with UHD sports and TNT ultimate. Their box left as standard on highest bit rate. Their main TV broke. So we leant them our tv which was connected to a vm mini box. On vm the hlg on the uhd sports channels was dull and horrible to watch. But on sky they're perfect. 

Tavis75
Super solver

Yes, I've just cancelled the Sky Sports UHD add-on as it was very dull (plus fast-forwarding was jerky and the F1 Season was ending), my projector is a model that was released less than 2 years ago, supports HLG and could in no way be described as cheap.