cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECURITY FAILURE !! Netflix acct being accessed by someone else!! Can’t get virgin to do anything !!

lawrenr58
On our wavelength

My Netflix account on virgin media is being illegally accessed and Netflix say it’s because an old v360 box I had has been given to someone else and virgin still have it linked to my account. Apparently there’s a facility called SSI that enables anyone with the box to bypass the sign on password so a password change doesn’t fix it. 
has anyone else seen this- I can’t get anyone at virgin to take any interest

23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you signed up to Netflix via a Virgin 360 and selected billing through Virgin Media, you’re correct - any boxes registered to your account (including minis) will automatically log in without the need for an email or password - even if the box is reset etc. 

You need to change your billing method within Netflix, and if you can’t, Netflix should be able to do this.

You can now deregister devices within the Netflix settings menu (you’ll need to log in via a browser). I’m not sure if you can deregister a Virgin box there, but it’s worth a try. 

Thanks

if I could get any response from them I would probably do that. 
I am shocked that virgin can give a complete stranger a box that gives them access to my account and I can’t stop it with a password change!

whoever they are they are now changing the profile names to abusive comments so I can’t let my family access Netflix anymore 

But I’ll try the online de -registration suggestion, thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!

https://help.netflix.com/en/contactus

Netflix customer service can be a little hit and miss. Live chat is often the best way to speak to a human. 

Thank hertzlad 

it looks like I can kick them off but not deregulated the device

to be honest I found Netflix to be quite helpful, it’s virgin that are hopeless. They need to ‘ de associate’ the old v360 box from my account- Netflix can’t fix it - and they just won’t do it. They also closed down a complaint I made without fixing the issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m also billed via Virgin Media.

I’ve just tried. You can sign out of the Liberty Global box via your Netflix account, but unfortunately it doesn’t remove/stop the device completely. I was able to access Netflix on my 360 mini afterwards without my email and password. 

Is Netflix included in your VM package?

If it’s not included, but you’re billed through VM, you should have the option to cancel this via your VM account - I have done in the past. Have you tried this? If you can, it will de-register the box from your next billing date. 

Thanks- that what I found too

unfortunately Netflix is part of the VM package Not just billed

Hi @lawrenr58

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your old TV box and your Netflix account. We can understand this is not ideal and we want to best help. Just to clarify, how was your old TV box given to someone else? Was this after an upgrade with us? Also what happens when trying to change the password to your Netflix? As this should be able to log out of other devices until the password is entered again.

Please get back to us when you can so we can investigate this for you.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

lawrenr58
On our wavelength

It was taken away by a virgin engineer after an upgrade and I presume was reallocated to another customer

i can log the other party out and I can change the password but the SSI(silent sign in?) technology and the account association means the old box can still sign in without needing my new password!