cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement 360 box issues

Fishdaddy77
Tuning in

Hi all, just thought this may be of help to someone. We have a 360 box and the hard drive started to play up (lost all recordings, freezing, time shift erratic etc) so after getting the runaround from the call center telling me to do totally unrelated stuff like "stick a pin in your routers reset hole" and similar stuff they arranged for an engineer to call. The engineer agreed with my suspicions that the HDD was indeed faulty so a new box was sent out. On recieving the new box I followed all the instructions to the letter but the new box wouldn't even show a welcome screen. It just kept rebooting and showing a blank screen for hours. Another call to 150 ensued and the same "have you tried rebooting it?" Or "are you sure the cable is plugged in?" No luck whatsoever with this so I plugged the old faulty box back in so we could at least watch TV. An engineer contacted me and sent me another new box today which had the same issues when I tried to install it. No picture black screen and no welcome page on startup.

Obviously it near impossible to have 2 boxes with the exact same fault so I plugged the new 360 into an old tv and lo and behold it booted correctly first time.

It looks like 'out of the box' the 360 was outputting a signal on first boot that couldn't be read by my main TV (3 year old hisense) but could be read with no trouble by my scummy old 24inch TV (same hdmi cable)

As soon as the boot, installation and updates were out of the way I plugged the 360 back into the hisense and it's working with absolutely no problems.

So just a word of warning if you have a new 360 and it seems DOA try another TV first and save yourself hours of call center shenanigans. (is there a direct number to call for proper tech support because the call center I spoke to on both occasions were really poor on the technical side of things.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's unusual that you would have a tech visit and subsequently have a box sent to you. Part of the purpose of a tech visit is that faulty equipment is taken away, and replacement kit installed there & then.

@Fishdaddy77 wrote:

is there a direct number to call for proper tech support because the call center I spoke to on both occasions were really poor on the technical side of things

0345 4541111 or 150 from a VM phone. Reports of faults agents being poor on the technical side are no surprise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's unusual that you would have a tech visit and subsequently have a box sent to you. Part of the purpose of a tech visit is that faulty equipment is taken away, and replacement kit installed there & then.

@Fishdaddy77 wrote:

is there a direct number to call for proper tech support because the call center I spoke to on both occasions were really poor on the technical side of things

0345 4541111 or 150 from a VM phone. Reports of faults agents being poor on the technical side are no surprise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When I say they arranged for an "engineer to call" I meant a telephone call. I'm sure a VM engineer would have sussed out the fault within 5 mins

Hi @Fishdaddy77, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear you had issues with your original 360 box and for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  Regarding the call, it sounds as though you were contacted via our virtual tech service. It sounds as though they were able diagnose the fault and required resolution over the phone. This frees up our technician appointments for what may be more complex issues, sorry.

Regards

Lee_R

Nobody from VM diagnosed anything over the phone. All they did was send me new boxes on the balance of probability that the hard drive was on its way out on the original box.

The ensuing issues with activation and installation of the replacement V6 got no assistance from VM whatsoever. I was basically left to do the fault finding on my own. Not a great service to be brutally honest.

We're sorry for the experience, we have help here for TV360 issues and here for more general issues with TV service. If you do have anymore problems or require further assistance please post on the forum and we'll be happy to help.

Rob