cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regional channels

Keith115
Joining in

Hello,

I have just changed my TV network from Sky to Virgin Media today.

Living  in Kent we are used to having BBC SouthEast News. Currently channel 101 is set to BBC London. Can I select regional BBC channels ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@Keith115 wrote:

Hello,

Living  in Kent we are used to having BBC SouthEast News. Currently channel 101 is set to BBC London. Can I select regional BBC channels ?

You are in a London cable franchise area (Croydon cable headend), hence the London channels take the primary slots.

You should find the following additional regions available further down the EPG:

BBC1 South East - channel 858

ITV Meridian South East - channel 871

Set a "Profile" up with these channels selected & use this in future.

Just a question about these 2 channel numbers regardless of content as they are not available on my 360 or listed on the 360 guide but I am in the North West does the South East have special channel numbers, they aren't even on the V6 guide 🤔

They will only be listed in the EPG if they are output at the cable headend you are downstream of. Channels 858, 870 & 871 are allocated as additional regional channels where cable franchises overlap different TV regions. If there are no overlaps in your franchise area the channels will not exist. Indeed if only part of the area overlaps then only nodes in the overlap carry the additional channels.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Keith115 wrote:

Hello,

You are in a London cable franchise area (Croydon cable headend), hence the London channels take the primary slots.

You should find the following additional regions available further down the EPG:

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'm in Kent, Maidstone to be precise, and 101 is South East, rather than London, for me.

roy247
Community elder

@nodrogd wrote:

@Keith115 wrote:

Hello,

Just a question about these 2 channel numbers regardless of content as they are not available on my 360 or listed on the 360 guide but I am in the North West does the South East have special channel numbers, they aren't even on the V6 guide 🤔

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@Keith115 wrote:

Hello,

They will only be listed in the EPG if they are output at the cable headend you are downstream of. Channels 858, 870 & 871 are allocated as additional regional channels where cable franchises overlap different TV regions. If there are no overlaps in your franchise area the channels will not exist. Indeed if only part of the area overlaps then only nodes in the overlap carry the additional channels.

I do not recognise channels 858 and 871. I am served from the Hayes headend and have these channels.

• 101 - BBC One London HD
  • 861 - BBC One London HD
  • 862 - BBC One Scotland HD
  • 863 - BBC One NI HD
  • 864 - BBC One Wales HD
--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I do not recognise channels 858 and 871. I am served from the Hayes headend and have these channels.

• 101 - BBC One London HD
  • 861 - BBC One London HD
  • 862 - BBC One Scotland HD
  • 863 - BBC One NI HD
  • 864 - BBC One Wales HD

No, you won't. The only London area franchise headends carrying additional channels are Basildon (Essex & Kent north segments only), Croydon (Kent south only), Hemel Hempstead (Harpenden & Tring only), Watford (Bucks segment), Guildford (Hampshire segment) & Luton.