cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings showing all ALL 3 boxes despite profiles set up - confusing my 83 Year Old Mother and me!!

adamelphick
Up to speed

OK so here goes ..

We HAD 2 V6 boxes and 1 Tivo - all could access each others stuff as they were networked IF we wanted to.  However if you were 'on' a box, it showed just it's recordings unless you chose another box in the menu.  This was perfect as Mum recorded her stuff on one box, we had another, and there was a 'shared' one in the living room.

This week we had the 360 'upgrade' - lost the Tivo for a mini box with no hard drive (pretty sure that's a 'downgrade' but there you go) and gained the fancy voice remotes.

I set us all a profile up, assuming that would not only personalise the suggestions etc, but also split up the recordings.  To my horror everything my Mum records (and there is some right old tosh!) appear in the other profiles 'Saved' tab... this is a massive retrograde step.  I can't find any way to separate the recordings, and already it's beginning to be a real mess.  My Mum is 83, and I can tell she is goign to get REALLY confused and also start deleting things I have recorded (that before she could only do if she managed to weave her way through the menus to my box!!).

How on earth can we separate the recordings up, and if we can't I am REALLY unhappy with how things now are.  It is definitely a BACKWARDS step.  The point of a profile is surely to link stuff to it?  You don't seem to have any control of 'where' the mini box holds its files - I assume it just chooses randomly one of the other boxes - but there must be something that tells the system which profile is recording which program.. otherwise what's the point of the profiles? Other than to delivery mediocre suggestions?

48 REPLIES 48

Totally agree @adamelphick - this is a  serious bug. There are all kinds of family setups where this is totally inappropriate (eg families with young children and also OP's 83 year old mum seeing things she didn't record and potentially deleting them ... and I also haven't found a way to undelete).

It also infringes personal privacy. Virgin really need to sort this!

Reading this (interesting) thread as a dual V6 owner.

It seems to me that the location of recording should be of no concern to the end user. Indeed, knowing where the recordings are (which box or even in the cloud) can just make things more complex from a user standpoint.

The most appropriate way to separate recording (as has been suggested) is via profiles. To make things even more user friendly, the option to make specific recording visible to other profiles would seem to make sense. You could even have an option when setting a recording to make it generally available to all profiles.

I'll definitely be holding off for as long as I can. Thanks God for these forums!

@Shamwari wrote:

Totally agree @adamelphick - this is a  serious bug. There are all kinds of family setups where this is totally inappropriate (eg families with young children and also OP's 83 year old mum seeing things she didn't record and potentially deleting them ... and I also haven't found a way to undelete).

It also infringes personal privacy. Virgin really need to sort this!

There is no undelete on the 360. ☹️

It's  not a bug, that's how it's been programmed!

It certainly bugs me and even more so Mr Shamwari - we have two boxes for a reason: we like different things and manage our storage differently. Him, tidy. Me, not so fussy.

Virgin do need to consider reprogramming so that the default is only to see the recordings on your own personal profile and so that you can rescue things from deleted. I hope this is seen and acted upon. Many thanks!

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!! 

All they have to do is link recordings to the profile and that would solve EVERYTHING with recordings.... no matter which box it actually records on (as you don't seem to have a choice now anyway) you could find what YOU wanted easily.

Totally unrelated question but how are people quoting a previous post? I don't have a quote button or anything?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adamelphick 

When you're in the compose reply/message window, expand the toolbar above the text entry screen and select...

VM_Forum_quote.JPG

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

@adamelphick 

When you're in the compose reply/message window, expand the toolbar above the text entry screen and select...

VM_Forum_quote.JPG

WOOHOO thanks!  Why didn't I see that?! LOL

@Graham_A wrote:

Unfortunately for you, you have found one of the many limitations of the Horizon 360 system compared to the system powered by TiVo.

I will be sticking with the TiVo powered V6 boxes for as long as i possibly can.  

As a matter of interest what tempted you to make the switch?

Couldn't agree more. I keep dipping into these forums to see if stuff like this has been fixed and whether wishlists are coming (one of the most useful features ever). I don't really understand how they can't be implemented as it's just a more powerful series link. There was mention of TiVo having a patent but looking around it looks to me that it is only the name "WishLists" as other set top boxes have similar features just called something different.

A fancy interface is nice but features and flexibility should be the focus. Also I quite like the 3TB of storage three V6's offer and the flexibility that an important recording can be made on two boxes just in case one dies before it is watched. Also, looking at the household schedules across all 3 boxes I ain't sure a 360 and two mini boxes would have enough tuners!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Volt 1Gb
Equipment: 3 x V6, Hub 5