cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings showing all ALL 3 boxes despite profiles set up - confusing my 83 Year Old Mother and me!!

adamelphick
Up to speed

OK so here goes ..

We HAD 2 V6 boxes and 1 Tivo - all could access each others stuff as they were networked IF we wanted to.  However if you were 'on' a box, it showed just it's recordings unless you chose another box in the menu.  This was perfect as Mum recorded her stuff on one box, we had another, and there was a 'shared' one in the living room.

This week we had the 360 'upgrade' - lost the Tivo for a mini box with no hard drive (pretty sure that's a 'downgrade' but there you go) and gained the fancy voice remotes.

I set us all a profile up, assuming that would not only personalise the suggestions etc, but also split up the recordings.  To my horror everything my Mum records (and there is some right old tosh!) appear in the other profiles 'Saved' tab... this is a massive retrograde step.  I can't find any way to separate the recordings, and already it's beginning to be a real mess.  My Mum is 83, and I can tell she is goign to get REALLY confused and also start deleting things I have recorded (that before she could only do if she managed to weave her way through the menus to my box!!).

How on earth can we separate the recordings up, and if we can't I am REALLY unhappy with how things now are.  It is definitely a BACKWARDS step.  The point of a profile is surely to link stuff to it?  You don't seem to have any control of 'where' the mini box holds its files - I assume it just chooses randomly one of the other boxes - but there must be something that tells the system which profile is recording which program.. otherwise what's the point of the profiles? Other than to delivery mediocre suggestions?

48 REPLIES 48

Thanks Corey_C - however I have TWO 360 boxes with hard drives and 1 Mini box - so there are two main boxes surely?  I can understand the Mini box recording wherever it feels like - but not the 360s?

That should not be the case, adamelphick, you cannot have 2 main boxes otherwise the service would not work. I'll send you a private message to confirm your account and equipment details.

There are plenty of people on this forum who have said they upgraded from two V6's to 360 and both boxes still save recordings on their own HDD.

Unfortunately mine doesn't - EVERYTHING recorded shows on EVERY box!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adamelphick wrote:
Unfortunately mine doesn't - EVERYTHING recorded shows on EVERY box!

You should be able to select which box to record from when setting up the recording. Watch the video link posted by another customer that has upgraded 2 V6 boxes:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/New-boxes-and-I-can-record-to-both/m-p/4595373/hi... 

The recording list however is a combined one, as the system is built for single HDD operation, or for cloud recording operation as is used in the rest of Europe

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Nodrogd

@adamelphick wrote:

Thanks Nodrogd

Try reading this thread "3x TV360 boxes share everything inc recordings?"

This will explain how to manage recordings on 2 or more boxes and allow you to see what's on which box. 

Interesting Royalbeech - still a stupid system though.

The boxes should default to showing only their own recordings like the Tivo software, with other box recordings accessible.  I mean who thought up such a stupid idea...  Even the way it shows the recordings, while 'pretty', is going to become a real faff when you have lots of stuff recorded...

Honestly wish I'd chucked the whole lot back and gone with an Android box and various streaming services.  As that is effectively what Virgin are offering now, with such a knobbled recording option.  Half the time I watch Netflix as it's easier.

Clearly Corey hasn't been fully briefed on 360 or no one would have had their 2 V6 boxes " upgraded " to 360. It has been said by a Virgin staff member that the Horizon software will support 3 boxes with hard drives although that I believe is not what they want you to have.

Streaming is obviously the way forward.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps I'm misreading your post roy, but you seem to be implying that VM have a policy discouraging users from converting V6 boxes into 360s and would rather they're swapped for minis.

No such policy exists to the best of my knowledge.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks