cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings showing all ALL 3 boxes despite profiles set up - confusing my 83 Year Old Mother and me!!

adamelphick
Up to speed

OK so here goes ..

We HAD 2 V6 boxes and 1 Tivo - all could access each others stuff as they were networked IF we wanted to.  However if you were 'on' a box, it showed just it's recordings unless you chose another box in the menu.  This was perfect as Mum recorded her stuff on one box, we had another, and there was a 'shared' one in the living room.

This week we had the 360 'upgrade' - lost the Tivo for a mini box with no hard drive (pretty sure that's a 'downgrade' but there you go) and gained the fancy voice remotes.

I set us all a profile up, assuming that would not only personalise the suggestions etc, but also split up the recordings.  To my horror everything my Mum records (and there is some right old tosh!) appear in the other profiles 'Saved' tab... this is a massive retrograde step.  I can't find any way to separate the recordings, and already it's beginning to be a real mess.  My Mum is 83, and I can tell she is goign to get REALLY confused and also start deleting things I have recorded (that before she could only do if she managed to weave her way through the menus to my box!!).

How on earth can we separate the recordings up, and if we can't I am REALLY unhappy with how things now are.  It is definitely a BACKWARDS step.  The point of a profile is surely to link stuff to it?  You don't seem to have any control of 'where' the mini box holds its files - I assume it just chooses randomly one of the other boxes - but there must be something that tells the system which profile is recording which program.. otherwise what's the point of the profiles? Other than to delivery mediocre suggestions?

48 REPLIES 48

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately for you, you have found one of the many limitations of the Horizon 360 system compared to the system powered by TiVo.

I will be sticking with the TiVo powered V6 boxes for as long as i possibly can.  

As a matter of interest what tempted you to make the switch?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I had umpteen issues with the Hub 3 - plus our Tivo was slow and laggy ---  Very annoyed that they release such a manky system as an 'upgrade'...

It's nice to have simpler menus and stuff, but losing a major function of the system essentially makes naming the boxes and/or setting up profiles completely pointless.

I wonder if it's possible to take one of the boxes 'out of the loop' on the network?  So the other boxes don't see it?  It's a crap workaround but at least recordings won;t get mixed up!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adamelphick wrote:

I had umpteen issues with the Hub 3 - plus our Tivo was slow and laggy ---  Very annoyed that they release such a manky system as an 'upgrade'...

Without knowing the background, and it's easy to say in hindsight, but you could have swapped your TiVo for a V6 and remained on the TiVo-software platform. It won't help you now, but may do so to others in a similar situation and considering the migration.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

• I wasn't given the option unfortunately, or told about this terrible limitation.

I like the new interface but it seems to have lost quite a lot of functionality

We had two v6 boxes and their system wouldn't show the tubing to be desired to another v6... Just a mini, which meant 360 was there only option.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In this case it's all immaterial and doesn't help you, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this - a migration to 360 remains entirely voluntary at this time.

If my recollection is accurate, there's a limitation of 3 x V6 boxes and one additional TiVo, in any single household. Perhaps there was something else limiting in your case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Not sure.  The customer service lady (who was delightful and really helpful) tried to swap the TiVo for one initially but the system kept telling her mini box only....

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some you win some you lose.

For some time now there have been complaints on the forum about how “backward” & clunky the TiVO user interface is. Comparisons were made about the new SkyQ system that Sky were bringing in & it would leave TiVO standing.

So now we have it. V360, & yes it has the voice remote & the slick new interface. It also operates the same as Q, lumping all the recordings together & for those getting new boxes, storing all the recordings on one box no matter how many you have. Be careful what you wish for guys.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Agreed... Wish I'd dug a bit more into it... I never imagined they'd stuff up the recordings like this.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, adamelphick,

japittS and nodrogd are correct, unfortunately as it's the one main box, all the recordings are kept there. To find out more regarding the TV360 features please have a look here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360

Cheers,

Corey C