Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings buffering

gregav
Joining in

My recordings are constant buffering on one tv box

Only recently started doing this and used to lose  connection all the time

Any ideas or is it the box . Been worse since upgrading which is very irritating 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi gregav,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your recordings.

Have you been able to run the diagnostic check? If so what was the outcome?

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It doesn't matter conceptually, but just to make sure - you definitely have V6? If you're not sure, check here . I only ask because you refer to "recently upgrading" - do you mean swapping TiVo boxes for V6? Or have you converted V6 into 360?

Conceptually, recordings don't buffer. They're being played out from the box's hard drive - so I'm assuming there's one of two things happening here.

1: You're seeing picture breakup and/or pixellation. This can either be a poor connection, a signal fault or a hard drive problem, depending on the circumstances in which it's happening. This can be clarified if necessary.

2: You're seeing buffering when you stream recordings made on one box, on your multiroom box. This is entirely possible if the connection between one box and your homehub (which acts as intermediary) is poor, which is also entirely feasible if that connection is wireless. As with scenario 1, there's a few things can be checked if this is the case.

If you can clarify what you think is happening, then further advice & checks can be suggested.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Its upgraded to the 360

Recorded on my box downstairs which is connected to the hub and then watch upstairs on the other box. 

Normally a restart and turn off at wall connects it for a bit then it happens again etc

Im on the highest internet so should be no reason to buffer other than poor wifi. Again didnt used to happen before upgrading.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gregav 

I've moved your post to the 360 forum FYI.

Your broadband speed will be irrelevant to this, it's the connection between each 360 and your home-hub that matters, and if that's wireless, then the signal strength is the first thing to check on any WiFi connected box.

I use a V6 and am quoting from memory here (so the exact menu path may differ slightly) but under Settings > Network > Diagnostic, what is reported?

Another good check, is to make sure that OnDemand works reliably on each box - it's the same underlying 360 <---> Hub connection being used.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Are both boxes upgraded V6 boxes or is one a mini box with no hard drive. Anyway with 360 / Horizon software you need both boxes set to fast start or active start so they can basically talk to each other. How are yours set ?

Both upgraded boxes. 

Only seem to have an issue with the box connected via wifi .

I will check the diagnostic, 

Hi gregav,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your recordings.

Have you been able to run the diagnostic check? If so what was the outcome?

^Martin

Yes it literally just says lost connection to wifi but using things in same room still works.  Its ridiculous how the wifi is worse in a supposedly improved box.

Thanks for your reply gregav, sorry to hear your connectivity issues are ongoing. I've sent you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

Thanks for your messages and clearing data protection, gregav,

I have set up an engineer’s visit for you which you will be able to view from your online account here.

Cheers,
Corey C