cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Shows

Brainmac
Tuning in
  • When I go to the Channel Guide and select a program to record by pressing the red button I see a box in the top right say.Virgin TV 1 is offline.or not connecting.Turn it on to check if your recording has been scheduled. 
  • I'm connected to Virgin si what should I do.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Brainmac

Thank you so much for your post and for trying all the suggested fixes, we are so glad this is now resolved.

I also wanted to give a big thank you to @roy247 and @newapollo for their help here, we are very grateful to have your guidance and help and we are so glad this is now resolved. 

Thank you again to all

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Brainmac 

Do you have two VM TV boxes? If so it sounds like you have a main box and a mini box.

The mini box is half the size of the main box as it doesn't have a hard drive. 

You therefore need the main the main box to be on to record, or if iit's in n Standby it needs to be set to either Fast or Active Start

(Settings > System > Standby power consumption)

The same applies if you are setting a recording via the TVGO app.

If you have two main boxes then one of them is set as the default box for recordings, so if that's off it needs to either be switched on, or in standby as above.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for info. Tried your suggestion but had no success. I have installed new V360 box and moved old V6 box upstairs to replace an older box on another TV. That is also a problem as it isn't yet able to pick up anything and the Virgin Tech guy says he is sending another box. 

Are you saying that the twboxes need to be on for your suggestion to make my problem work.

The same happened last evening but when I checked this morning the recordings were there. I need to know immediately that the program has recorded by checking them but they do not show up under programs scheduled for recording. Sorry to be long winded but I'm trying to give as much info as possible

Hu newappolo, I don't think I replied properly to your info and sent another note. Hope you can pick it up

Hi Brainmac,

If you have changed your contract and been given an extra 360 box then that will be a mini box with no hard drive, pictures below main box on the left mini box on the right.

If that's the case then you need to really have the main box (the one with the hard drive) where you watch TV the most, and the mini as the secondary box.

The main box needs to be set to fast start or active start so the mini box can wake it up to watch recordings.

If you have 2 upgraded V6 boxes both with hard drives then they both need to be set to fast start or active start so you access recordings across boxes.

As you have said you are awaiting a replacement box is this for a faulty main box and you are using a mini box which can't record.

roy247_1-1665833089880.jpeg

Hello Roy, Thanks for your reply. I don't know what box they are sending me.

Are you saying that I should have left the old V6 box as my main box because I moved that to the other room and installed the new V360 as my main box.

The box not in the main room is not left on as it is used infrequently. Cannot understand why a new box is not better

It would help if you could identify the boxes you have. So from the pictures posted do you have one of each boxes or two of the larger box on the left.

You also mentioned about having an old box, you can identify all 3 Virgin boxes here,

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box,

If you had an old TiVo box that would be replaced by a mini box.

Why do you need the box replacing.for not receiving anything, can you give some more details. Is it live TV or streaming.

Thanks Roy, The pictures you sent are the two boxes I have. They sent me the new V360 box when I changed my contract price. I did not need to change the boxes as they were working OK but as they sent a new box I changed it thinking it was more efficient. The small box on the right in your picture was put in place of the box on the left (V6) as my main live TV.

The box on the left I moved upstairs to use infrequently which as I said is not left on standby. This replaced the old tivo box.

Are you saying the new V360 should have replaced the old tivo box. Typical of Virgin as it was difficult to understand the person who said a new box would be sent as part of my changed contract as I thought I was upgrading my system.

Hope this helps to clear the confusion.

Regards Brian 6

Hi Brian,

The mini is sent to replace the old Tivo box when you change to 360 and the V6 box will have received a software update to 360.

The old Tivo box had  a built in modem so required no network so let's say you replaced the Tivo with the mini box you would just swap the coax connection over but then you need to connect the mini box to your network, (hub), this can be either by ethernet cable or wifi.

Your V6 box which is now a 360 box can be left in the original position and preferably connected to your hub by ethernet cable but can also be wifi, this is the box where all the recordings will be made and needs the System, Standby power to be set to fast start or active start so if it's in standby and you either want to watch a recording on the mini box or set a programme to record using the mini box it will wake up the 360 box main box.

Virgin TV 1 will be the name that has been given to the main box, you can change that to something else if you go to Settings, System, Rename boxes.

Roy

Hello Roy, I would like to thank you for the advice re my problem.

I went back to square one. Put the V6 back connected to the main TV and put the V360 with the other TV in the upstairs room. Upgraded the V6 to V360 and bingo all is grea

Thanks again and hope you have a good Christmas and a happy new year.