cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real world experience of Virgin 360 after 4 weeks

johnau
Tuning in

Overall, I'm really liking the new service and I believe it stacks up well against Sky.

Pros:
Is it just me or has the picture quality improved significantly now that my V6 boxes have received the software update?
Voice commands.
Fast response times.
Much improved and colourful user interface.
Access to some Sky UHD content - sadly, still no UHD Sports.

However there are a few areas where I believe the experience has gone backwards in useability.

Cons:
EPG no longer shows which programmes are "new"(or when they were first aired).
EPG no longer gives star rating for movies which now means a visit to IMDB to determine if a movie is worth watching.
Multiple key presses required to get to my recorded shows - no dedicated button.
No option to record only new episodes of shows.

The cons may be just ignorance on my part. In which case I'm willing to be corrected.

52 REPLIES 52

@covkid69 wrote:

repeat recordings of shows I’ve already watched.

I don't understand this repeat recordings thing? many people have mentioned it on this forum, but I have not had this issue.

For example, I have Manifest on series link and once watched the latest episode I delete it, the following week the next episode records as it should. As normal for Sky, they always show the previous weeks episode the night before the scheduled new episode, this repeat episode doesn't record. 

When I set up the series links I went into the Advanced settings and chose to record "All From ..." hasn't failed me yet. 

@covkid69 wrote:

also about time they ditched the having to have a phone line that I don’t want as they say it makes my bills cheaper.have never ever used my phone line and never will

Landline is useful if you have relatives abroad.

@covkid69 wrote:

light on remote stays on for a split second so if you blink you miss it.

Have to agree it might aswell not come on at all.

@Royalbeech wrote:

@covkid69 wrote:

I don't understand this repeat recordings thing? many people have mentioned it on this forum, but I have not had this issue.

For example, I have Manifest on series link and once watched the latest episode I delete it, the following week the next episode records as it should. As normal for Sky, they always show the previous weeks episode the night before the scheduled new episode, this repeat episode doesn't record. 

When I set up the series links I went into the Advanced settings and chose to record "All From ..." hasn't failed me yet. 

If you had 360 before the advanced options were launched you would know exactly what he was talking about.

i have never used my phone line and not interested in having one as I have a mobile phone with unlimited minutes so why would i use it.....Just grinds my gears that I'm forced to have one or they will make my bills more expensive...how the hell does less equal more.

Have never understood why they insist on you having one.

Yes I know with Sky and BT you do need the phone line for your internet but with virgin you don't so why make me have it

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's going OT for the original thread, but IMO it's sensible to have more than one phone tech/operator at home and not rely wholly on one single provider.

That way, problems with one network or whatever, don't leave you off-comms and potentially incommunicado.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@roy247 wrote:

@Royalbeech wrote:

@covkid69 wrote:

If you had 360 before the advanced options were launched you would know exactly what he was talking about.

According to the op, they have on been on it for 4 weeks, the advanced options have been there since I changed to 360, back in April V4.31. Sorry but try again. 

Talking isn’t always ideal - I hate using the voice commands 

Its even worse with the phone line aspect - they no longer use the wall outlet for the phone, it’s all done via the modem now, which means no 999 calls in a power outage - and it doesn’t power high power phones!

My mum has a big button phone as she’s 70 - the phone has an extra loud ringer and a light, works perfectly with the BT landline socket - but doesn’t work on the telephone port of the Hub 4 with Virgin Media - so now we don’t even have a phone 

Plug another handset into the RJ11 to BT adapter, and whether or not this works will provide information on a solution.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@joebloggs wrote:

My mum has a big button phone as she’s 70 - the phone has an extra loud ringer and a light, works perfectly with the BT landline socket - but doesn’t work on the telephone port of the Hub 4 with Virgin Media - so now we don’t even have a phone 

It also may be that the phone needs a different type of phone adaptor which has a 'ring capacitor'. This thread seems to be a similar situation as yours:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Retro-Phone/td-p/4424045

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own