cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virgin 360 mini box and scart lead

jasey21
Joining in

Hi all I actually want to use the SCART OUT socket to connect to a projector without HDMI input, so if the SCART OUT allowed me to use RCA or S-VIDEO leads that would be perfect!

I am aware I could get a HDMI to SCART or (better) S-VIDEO and RCA adapter, but it would be much easier to connect up via the SCART OUT and keep the HDMI out free to connect with TV.

But before I go looking for an adapter, I'd need to confirm that the SCART OUT socket on the 360 box is active!

So can anyone (a) confirm whether the SCART OUT is active on the 360 box and

(b) what is the round SCART OUT called, to see if I can get an adapter?

Spoke with Virgin Media support today and they don't stock the adapters, so I suggested that they consider doing so and the message is being passed on!

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only supported video output from the 360 is the HDMI one.

The last/only VM TV box to support a SCART connection is the TiVo, and that's many years old.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only supported video output from the 360 is the HDMI one.

The last/only VM TV box to support a SCART connection is the TiVo, and that's many years old.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The so-called SCART sockets of the V6 and 360 boxes are:

- not SCART

- not active anyway

Look on this as an opportunity to upgrade to a 4K HDCP 2.2 compliant projector. You will need an HDMI switch or splitter to save you the hassle of manually switching between the TV and projector.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Many thanks great reply. I'll go off and get a HDMI to RCA /S video adapter.converter for the moment as it suits me to use my two older projectors (although the pins on S video were always so sensitive to breaking!). I have a very good switching box of one RCA/ Svideo in to four out so that will work well for a while.

Most of the 5.1 / 7.1 AV receivers these days with a multitude of connections still offer RCA if not S video connections, so it does seem remiss that a modern box for mass usage only offers HDMI connections, with many customers (perhaps elderly too) either not having HDMI equipment such as a SCART TV or in addition to a HDMI TV  wanting to get their TV picture or sound to an older projector  or HiFi / Dolby Digital system.

Putting yourself in the shoes of the customer (as many as possible) is not something enough businesses do.

The late Management author Peter Drucker said "the purpose of business is to attract and retain a customer" and it seems many put far greater effort into attracting than retaining! 

I add a single word to another version:- the purpose of business is to attract and keep a customer (happy)! 

Many thanks for the thoughtful reply! Very helpful!

Hi Roger many thanks for the prompt and thoughtful response!

I'll be getting a HDMI to RCA/ S video converter AND a HDMI splitter now - super suggestion!

I have a 2002 original home cinema projector Sony VPL HS1 which has been dormant for a decade since I got a more modern NEC in 2008 (1400 Lumens) but a new bulb has the Sony working well again and still giving a remarkably good picture despite only being 700 ANSI Lumens and quite low spec by modern standards.

The reason I've held off getting a more modern projector is that as well as using it for movies/DVD/Blue ray and TV dramas etc, I'm a sports lover and a HD TV does a far better job with a fast moving ball than the older projectors. I also want the ability to have full "lights on" projection during the day (or just a brighter picture at night) so perhaps a minimum of 3000 lumens (what is the point in getting a modern projector and having to close the blinds or curtains?)

I also want 3D as I like my 2012 LG HD TV with "passive" 3D (ie inexpensive cinema type rather than battery operated "active" glasses) and a built in 2D to 3D converter, which does moderately improve viewing of all types of programmes, and a facility which used be included with projectors but no longer is.

With 3D no longer so popular and so few sources, it does seem odd that the most modern fully equipped 3D equipped projectors don't include 2D to 3D converters, not only an opportunity lost but indeed one for some manufacturer to reintroduce, as with so many products quite similar now, this could be a much sought "competitive advantage"!

NOW after a looooooooong wait, it does seem that Optoma have obliged with their new UHD38 model, designed for gaming with lightning fast response times also good for sport (especially tennis and golf I suspect) AND 4000 lumens AND full 3D support if not 2D to 3D conversion.

Optoma's spec including top quality black 

https://www.optomaeurope.com/product-details/uhd38

doesn't seem to be matched by all the reviews eg

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/optoma-uhd38

which suggest it isn't perfect, with blacks not so good for movies, so it seems having decided I'd need to get a laser projector, that manufacturers are getting closer to the requirements I seek at non laser prices!

I'm waiting to see what develops in the near future and hence a new bulb in my 2002 Sony VPL HS1 will "make do" just for the moment - with a HDMI to RCA/S video converter and HDMI splitter for viewing of TV pictures from the 360 Box!!

Many thanks for the apt, accurate and prompt response!!