cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virgin 360 box and coax cable - connecting second box for live tv

sigo23
Tuning in

Hi, I'm appealing for clear information on how to link my Virgin 360 (ex-V6 but upgraded to 360) box in second room for live TV.

I have a mesh set up through the flat and have excellent speeds via the Virgin service.

The live TV works fine in the main room next to the router and TV hub, but in spite of what the agent told me when I signed up for the 360 upgrade that the primary and second boxes could communicate through my network with ethernet connections to the mesh hubs, I can't get live TV on the second box.

Reviewing this forum, it's now clear that I was misled and that I need a coax cable into the second box for live TV.

I have no coax wall output in the second room, and according to another agent, a Virgin engineer needs to come and install a connection from the TV hub to the second box via splitters etc.

The second room is about 70 metres from the hub divided by 2 walls.

How on earth can they run a cable without creating an unsightly mess in the premises I'm currently renting?

I am about to move back to my permanent address (currently in renovation) in a few months and want to pre-install the appropriate coax cables under the floorboards to ensure the right set up.

My electrician/arial installer can do this but needs precise guidance as to how Virgin connect the boxes.

I've searched high and low on the internet for instructions, but can't find anything.

Sorry for length of this, but any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If the property has a detached end it's sometimes possible to run the coaxial cable round the side of the building, otherwise it has to be an internal job. For internal installation the walls have to be drilled through unless the cable can be run under the floorboards. There is a further consideration that as the 360 requires a network connection, you should be installing an Ethernet cable (can be run alongside the coaxial cable).

You should consult your landlord about the work required. If he agrees to it then the best thing would be to get the Ethernet cable installed in advance and, for an internal installation, install a pull cord for the coaxial cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If the property has a detached end it's sometimes possible to run the coaxial cable round the side of the building, otherwise it has to be an internal job. For internal installation the walls have to be drilled through unless the cable can be run under the floorboards. There is a further consideration that as the 360 requires a network connection, you should be installing an Ethernet cable (can be run alongside the coaxial cable).

You should consult your landlord about the work required. If he agrees to it then the best thing would be to get the Ethernet cable installed in advance and, for an internal installation, install a pull cord for the coaxial cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sigo23 wrote:

I am about to move back to my permanent address (currently in renovation) in a few months and want to pre-install the appropriate coax cables under the floorboards to ensure the right set up.

My electrician/arial installer can do this but needs precise guidance as to how Virgin connect the boxes.

I've searched high and low on the internet for instructions, but can't find anything.

Sorry for length of this, but any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You can't find Virgin's cabling for sale as it is specifically made for them. VM techs will not connect up anything else as connecting non-standard cable can cause serious network issues for the entire street, so a DIY job will be a waste of your money. Install ducting & pull ropes so that the necessary cabling can be pulled on the day.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sigo23
Tuning in

Hi, was this sorted for you?

I had the same problem being told by an agent my second box could be connected via wi-fi for live tv viewing on the second box. Grrrrr. 

I'm upgrading flooring in my flat and want to know whether I should bury conduit between primary TV hub and outlet in second room (about 80 metres away) before I call out an engineer to reinstall equipment.

I absolutely don't want ugly wiring around skirting boards and holes drilled in walls if I in advance avoid it by providing provision for 'hidden' cabling.

No-one at the call centre could help me, I've filed a 'complaint' and await a call back from a manager.

Fingers crossed 

Bothe nodrogd and Roger_Gooner have since helpfully answered my original question, thanks both.

CJS
On our wavelength
I’ve just been told the same on VM WhatsApp chat that a 360Mini doesn’t need cabling. I have had a VM engineer out to move my second box to another location but he refused as won’t fasten cable to cladding (agreed) or run under decking at rear.
Saw the Stream offering but VM won’t let you have it if you already have TV services.
Come on VM, it’s about time you had a proper WiFi solution for multi-room.
Oh and please educate your CS team!

All my Virgin boxes are running with prewired 2006 coax that we installed back then. Luckily I had the insight to install ethernet. When VM came to do my pre install they have me the RG6 cable to run from the loft to the front of my house as I didn’t want any drilling. Everything works fine.