cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Subtitles set at "size stupid"

JustJaneP
On our wavelength

I have the same problem!  I'm hard of hearing not poor eyesight!  My husband keeps turning them off since we switched to 360 as so I'm "left out" of the programme and isolated or have to battle for the remote!! 

If the BBC iplayer can offer change size why can't Virgin?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

While there may be standards there’s so many different variations in subtitles, like Freeview/YouView have different sizes for HD/Non HD.

Skys font is prettier but colours are not as vibrant and Virgins font is HUGE, and definitely a different font to other providers!! Virgins subtitles looked good on V6/TiVo but totally different to 360!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are the subtitles you refer too on an On Demand service or a broadcast channel?

As regards broadcast channels, the size, positioning & colour palette of subtitles are 1) approved by OFCOM & 2) are also part of the DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting) standards. Therefore all receiving equipment manufactured to operate with broadcast channels in the UK displays subtitles in exactly the same format whether you have Freeview, Freesat, Sky or Virgin.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JustJaneP
On our wavelength

On all channels. They seem to be a lot larger and more intrusive on the viewing since 360.  

BBC app at least allowed size to be made smaller

While there may be standards there’s so many different variations in subtitles, like Freeview/YouView have different sizes for HD/Non HD.

Skys font is prettier but colours are not as vibrant and Virgins font is HUGE, and definitely a different font to other providers!! Virgins subtitles looked good on V6/TiVo but totally different to 360!