cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to pair Virgin TV 360 remote with your TV, surround sound and 360 box?

GregV
Joining in

There seems to be a fault in the software on the Virgin TV 360 box. We bought a new TV (TCL brand). It came with a Soundbar that connects directly to the TV with a HDMI cable (so this connects it to the TV for audio, volume control, directly). 

The Virgin 360 had our TCL TV in the list in the pairing settings, so we paired it. This worked perfectly and now the Virgin remote controls everything on our TV - all good.

BUT.... we keep getting a very annoying box every 30 minutes or so that appears on the screen saying “Virgin 360 has detected a new device, go to settings to pair it” (so it seems to be detecting the TCL Sound-bar). 

(note: in the Virgin sound system pairing settings there is no TCL brand listed, but we dont need to pair with sound bar anyway - it is totally controlled via the HDMI cable linked to the TV). 

My question is: there needs to be a way to switch off pairing on the Virgin 360 box once you have paired it with your TV ? (a simple on/off button in the settings).

if it can’t be resolved by Virgin then we will need to cancel the contract and get get Sky box and broadband instead. 

Which seems crazy really because otherwise we are very happy with the Virgin services and 360 TV box. 

Can a Virgin technical support person advise me if there is a solution ? 

Thanks,

GVH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GregV

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Can I double check if all the steps in the video here have been followed?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

GregV
Joining in

I think Villarreal562 must be a Virgin employee, the response has no relevance at all to my question !

Q: I keep getting a very annoying box every 30 minutes or so that appears on the screen saying “Pair New Device” or  “Virgin 360 has detected a new device, go to settings to pair it” (so it seems to be detecting the TCL Soundbar - which is connected by HDMI cable, so does not need pairing!

There needs to be a way to switch off pairing on the Virgin 360 box once you have paired it with your TV ? (a simple on/off button in the settings).

if it can’t be resolved by Virgin then we will need to cancel the contract and get get Sky box and broadband instead. 

GregV
Joining in

Come on Virgin! You are better than this ...

It is obviously a small piece if software code that is needed to create and push out to 360 boxes in an update. Put it in Advanced Options, call it ‘Pairing Search for New Devices’ (use a radio button ‘ON / OFF’’),

.... and if you are concerned of accidental activation add a function that requires User Pin to change it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you really switch your entire service because of a soundbar issue with the TV360?

Made me laugh.

GregV
Joining in

Q: I keep getting a very annoying box every 30 minutes or so that appears on the screen saying “Pair New Device” or  “Virgin 360 has detected a new device, go to settings to pair it” (so it seems to be detecting the TCL Soundbar - which is connected by HDMI cable, so does not need pairing!

There needs to be a way to switch off pairing on the Virgin 360 box once you have paired it with your TV ? (a simple on/off button in the settings).

Come on Virgin! You are better than this ...

It is obviously a small piece if software code development that is needed to create and push out to 360 boxes in an update. Put it in Advanced Options, call it ‘Pairing Search for New Devices’ (use a radio button ‘ON / OFF’’),

.... and if you are concerned of accidental activation add a function that requires User Pin to change it.

Try enjoying a movie, when every 20 mins a pop-up appears and you have to take the remote, click right to Cancel, press OK !! 

There must be a fix 🤞

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GregV

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Can I double check if all the steps in the video here have been followed?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

yes I followed all of those steps. The TV pairing works fine, full control of volume. Also, The TCL soundbar is connected to the TV via arc HDMI, I chose the option in Settings to control volume through TV. 

The problem seems to be that the Virgin box is detecting the TCL Soundbar (even though it is connected via HDMI and volume control is working fine through HDMI). 

So, the problem seems to be that the Virgin 360 box remote: is detecting the TCL soundbar as a ‘new device’ and persistently asking me to pair with it. 

Can you please escalate this support issue to a senior Virgin technical person, as it is a very annoying problem which has been going on for 4 weeks. 

Thank you.

GVH

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated on this GregV.

We can't rule out potential compatibility issues with specific models, however it can difficult for us to diagnose issues with 3rd party equipment. 

I see some affected users have raised concerns on this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Annoying-message-on-screen/td-p/4592429 with some suggested work-around's - is there any alternative way you can connect the soundbar to you setup?

If not - have you been able to try a different HDMI able so we can rule out any problems there? 

Tom 

Hi Tom, I will buy a new HDMI cable and try that. But, as everything is working perfectly (except the Virgin360 looking to pair  the remote with ‘new device’)  , however will try that. 

What may help is: can Virgin at the TCL brand to the Audio Amplifier list of devices - it is not on it at the moment.

Greg