cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disappearing Standby light

mattanorak
On our wavelength

Resurrecting an old thread, so apologies for this, but this is exactly the issue I’m having.

I have 2 boxes - one here and one at a different place.  Both the same settings (medium power saving).  On one the light is red in standby and white when it’s on -  on the other there’s no light.  If I reboot the one with no light, the light comes on and behaves as it should.  That is, I’ve found, until the box switches itself off (when it reaches the power saving time out (4 hours)) - then from thereon in, there’s no light whatsoever, until I fully reboot the box.

Now on the scheme of things, it’s not a big deal, but without turning the TV on, I can’t tell if the kids have left the box on or not, or even if they’ve powered it off, so it does need looking at.

As mentioned, identical setup at another place, no issues - so maybe this is box specific.

Any suggestions - other than rebooting (which only temporarily fixes the issue?).

Box is connected via Ethernet and I don’t want to connect it via wireless.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi mattanorak,

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you've been having some issues with the set-to box.

I've had a look at things from our side, and it does look like an engineer is needed.

I'll need to confirm a few details with you before I can arrange this, so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mattanorak

Sorry to hear that you're set top box light keeps turning off. Do you have any other issues at all with the box itself or is it just the light that's the only issue? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi @Carley_S,

As far as I can see, the box is fine - except for the light issue.  I did reboot it last night and left it in standby, and it seems that after a while the light just goes out, no matter what, so there's no way of telling if it's on or in standby without turning on the TV!

roy247
Community elder

@mattanorak wrote:

I have 2 boxes - one here and one at a different place.  Both the same settings (medium power saving).  On one the light is red in standby and white when it’s on -  on the other there’s no light.  If I reboot the one with no light, the light comes on and behaves as it should.  That is, I’ve found, until the box switches itself off (when it reaches the power saving time out (4 hours)) - 

When you say medium power setting do you mean active start, I have seen posts suggesting that if the box is set to eco this happens, also turnig off the red light when in standby.

Just to clarify the 4hr standby setting turning off, is it only when the box turns off automatically after no remote usage that the light goes off or does it go off when the box is still on, if you try changing the time does it make any difference apart from turning the box off later.

mattanorak
On our wavelength

Sorry - yes, the box is set to Active Start (the middle option!) and the standby timer (no activity) is set to 4 hours.

The 4 hours timer is working as designed - if there's no remote activity, the box turns off after 4 hours, and I'm OK with this.  It's the lack of standby light that's confusing, as I have another box elsewhere with exactly the same settings and on that one the light works as designed.  Also, for clarification:

- When in standby, no light
- When in use, no light
- If rebooted, standby and active lights work as expected
- If left overnight (or 4 hours, whicever is soonest), no lights work.

It seems to be that the issue only happens once the box has hit its standby timer and doesn't recover from it when woken up (unless rebooted).

Thanks.

Does sound like a problem with the box.

Hope this helps the forum team.

Hi mattanorak,

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you've been having some issues with the set-to box.

I've had a look at things from our side, and it does look like an engineer is needed.

I'll need to confirm a few details with you before I can arrange this, so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Thanks for popping your details over via private message mattanorak 🙂

I've arrange for an engineer now, you can view the time and date of your appointment via your online account here 

Alex_Rm

That's great - thank you.

Hi Alex,

Engineer turned up, had a look, swapped the box out and it’s sorted now - thanks!