cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor picture quality on all channels

lanceg
Tuning in

I only had Virgin installed a few days ago but it has become very apparent that the picture quality between Sky Q and Virgin is vastly different.

Where Sky 4k and HD is crisp and all text and menus are clearly defined, the Virgin ones are fuzzy and are more in line with Sky SD pictures. I still have my SkyQ box for a few months, it is easy to compare.

I also cannot find any films that have an Atmos soundtrack either, even though I am aware that these boxes are compatible.

The settings menu is very basic but I have changed everything to what I would deem highest spec. so I would love to know if I am missing something obvious.

6 REPLIES 6

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @lanceg 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your services.

Have you tried an alternative HDMI cable to see if this improves the quality? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Zak

The HDMI cables are brand new and were used with my previous Sky Q box. The picture was pristine before I switched. Unfortunately the virgin picture, even on HD channels, has a tendency to be blocky or fuzzy. The SD channels are barely watchable. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lanceg wrote:

Unfortunately the virgin picture, even on HD channels, has a tendency to be blocky or fuzzy. The SD channels are barely watchable. 

Are you describing (what sounds to me like) pixellation?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Agreed. But why is there is pixilation? Do Virgin compress the files more than others? Is it a signal issue? Is the stream quality reduced for some reason? 

The fact that UHD movies (picture is better than the HD but nowhere near as crisp as Sky) don't even come with Dolby Atmos leads me to believe that there is file restriction.

It is just disappointing to have a TV (LGOLEDGX) that can give a great picture but the source material is lacking from Virgin.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellation on live TV is nearly always caused by a signal fault of some kind.

If it's persisting after a single reboot, there's an underlying fault that VM will need to rectify. It could be box, it could be cabling, it could be internal or external - the important bit it is, you can't fix it yourself.

It's an entirely separate issue from Dolby Atmos.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @lanceg,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with poor picture quality on all channels.

Checking the box stats, it's currently showing as unreachable so I'm not able to see any of the signal levels on the box. Can you please reboot the box so it's online and let us know so we can run through diagnostics this end?

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs