cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing UHD content

barcode00
On our wavelength

Is UHD content supported without a 4K TV?

I was previously able to play UHD content (Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD package) using my V6 box on my 1080p TV.

Now, however, attempting to play the same content as days before displays a "UHD not supported" message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

Hi barcode00,

UHD content is supported on a HD TV but that depends on the source, BT Sport Ultimate and the Virgin UHD channel will downscale to 1080, but the Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD doesn't, it gives your UHD not supported message but then you can access it through the normal HD source's. If you go to the Virgin UHD channel ondemand you will also receive the same message.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@barcode00 wrote:

Is UHD content supported without a 4K TV?

Short answer here, is yes - but it will be downscaled to 1080.

From your post, it sounds like you used to do this on your V6, but have since converted to TV360?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Hi barcode00,

UHD content is supported on a HD TV but that depends on the source, BT Sport Ultimate and the Virgin UHD channel will downscale to 1080, but the Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD doesn't, it gives your UHD not supported message but then you can access it through the normal HD source's. If you go to the Virgin UHD channel ondemand you will also receive the same message.

barcode00
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have recently converted to TV360. In the last days of my V6 I tested playing something "UHD" and it played without any trouble (albeit not UHD but downscaled).

So, I'm wondering how to downscale the content to 1080.

barcode00
On our wavelength

@roy247 wrote:

but the Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD doesn't, it gives your UHD not supported message

Curious that it did permit play from the V6, but not the TV360 (when playing the same On Demand movie). Does the TV360 just refuse to downscale to 1080?

I wonder if I can get an adaptor to pretend my TV is 4K...

The 360's box resolution setting controls it, if you have a 4K TV and set the box to 1080 you get the same result. If you are thinking why would you do that the answer is the 360 will upscale everything to 4K and sometimes your TV will do it better.

@barcode00 wrote:

@roy247 wrote:

but the Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD doesn't, it gives your UHD not supported message

Curious that it did permit play from the V6, but not the TV360 (when playing the same On Demand movie). Does the TV360 just refuse to downscale to 1080?

I wonder if I can get an adaptor to pretend my TV is 4K...

The 360 will not allow you to set the resolution to anything higher than the TV's native resolution and I doubt it you wiĺ be able to find something that will.

Why isn't the 360 automatically downscaling 2160p to 1080p for an HD TV?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Rodger,

It does for live TV but not ondemand, the 360 ' knows ' you only have a HD TV so will not allow to watch a UHD source such from ondemand. The best example is the Virgin UHD channel you can watch live streams but not ondemand, unless there has been a change since I last checked on my mini box and HD TV.

Edited to say you might be better asking whoever is writing the software for the 360 I can only say what happens not the why.

Also can't say what happens with a 4K app as I haven't tried, but assume it would be the same if played through the 360.

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Why isn't the 360 automatically downscaling 2160p to 1080p for an HD TV?

Hi Roger,

If you have Sky Movies UHD and a HD TV does the V6 just let you select the movie and play it. For example on a 360 you will get the also available options for a film and UHD will be one, but not available unless you have a 4K TV connected.