cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture scrambles when switching from Netflix 4K.

rh86
Tuning in

Hi all,

I just got my new virgin 360 package delivered and setup yesterday. I am having a problem when I have the match frame rate picture setting enabled. When I watch anything in 4K HDR on the inbuilt Netflix app, when i finish an episode/film and switch back to either the Netflix menu or go to the virgin Home Screen, my tv will start frantically switching between picture modes and the screen image will be a scrambled/fuzzy picture like the old images you would get on analog tv when you didn’t have the tv tuned. 

I’m watching on a Sharp 50BJ HDR tv and I never had this issue when using my old sky q box until yesterday morning. 

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @rh86 

Sorry to see you are having problems switching from Netflix.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable, or reseated the current one?

In Settings > Audio & Video > HDMI resolution there are 6 options. I have mine set to Automatic - check your settinsg there and try the different options to see if that helps.

You could also try rebooting the V6.

If that doesn't help you could try a Factory reset. It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.
You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

With the 360 selecting Choose Keep Recordings means you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

roy247
Community elder

Hi rh86,

Having Match frame rate set to on seems to cause problems with Netflix, try setting it off is the advice in this Thread 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

Hi rh86,

Having Match frame rate set to on seems to cause problems with Netflix, try setting it off is the advice in this Thread 

Worth pointing out that turning it off can cause other picture problems for Netflix - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/NetFlix-random-drop-outs/m-p/4876172#M23195

I had it on my Samsung 4K TV - with it off when watching 'Red Notice' recently there was noticeable stuttering in the picture. Turning it on smoothed all of that out.

So you may have to pick which one you can live with, luckily for me the TV deals with the input change well without the problems mentioned above.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks everybody for your assistance. Will this issue for Netflix get fixed sometime soon? 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's not an issue that can be fixed as it's down to the way the content is produced for international streaming services - the link I posted above explains what is going on.

The problem is then down how well your TV deals with the switching frame rates. Some are better than others and unfortunately it seems the Sharp isn't as good as it could be.

For content produced for the UK market, the issue is dealt with during production so the frame rates matche what the TV is built to expect.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I understand that but I never had the problem with my tv and the old sky Q box when switching between frame rates. Neither do I have a problem when I try frame rate switching using my Amazon fire 4K stick. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to add a 'me too' post, but the Netflix app via V360 is awful. Same issues as the user above, along with random black screens displayed whilst using the app. Netflix via Sky Q worked flawlessly, even with Judder Control set to on (Sky's equivalent of Virgin's Match Frame Rate). I do tend to use apps via my LG TV as they are more stable, but it's frustrating for those wanting the convenience of using apps via your V360 and having "everything in one place", as Virgin advertise.

Hi @rh86 thank you for posting!

Sorry to hear you have been having inconsistencies in your picture quality whilst using the Netflix app on your TV360 box. There have been some great tips & tricks posted already in the thread posted by @roy247 here. (Thank you Roy!) And also in the responses from @BenMcr

Were you able to try changing your match frame rate settings, and did it resolve the issue for you?

Let us know how you get on!

All the best. 

Molly

Yes, turning off ‘match frame rate’ does ‘fix’ the issue. This now introduces a small amount of stuttering when watching US Netflix content. This is not a solution. Matching frame rate worked on sky and works on my fire-stick. It’s a virgin problem, not my tv.