cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture quality

Chalkster1
Joining in

Hi

My picture quality 7pm onwards is absolutely appalling. Pixilated. My broadband speed is 150mb+ on speed tests. Unwatchable at times and very frustrating paying all this money for poor quality. I've rebooted several times, still same. It's on just about every channel same issue.

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Chalkster1 

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Are you measuring your broadband speed direct to a PC with an ethernet cable, or via wifi which is always slower?

What are your catchup and  on demand services like, also streaming apps?

Any interference on recordings?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up. Live TV doesn't use the internet, so your broadband will have nothing to do with this.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Chalkster1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear you're facing some quality issues with your TV service recently. I've checked things on our end and I'm unable to find any faults on the line currently that would explain this. Is this issue ongoing for you today?

If the issue remains, I can see that @newapollo and @japitts have offered some advice. Can you confirm if this is only impacting live TV, or if you're also have issues with Catch Up and/or On Demand? As you've mentioned it's only occurring after 7pm, is there anything else being used in the home around that time which may potentially be causing some interference?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Off hand I think it's live tv, sports etc, watching rugby last night and it was terrible.

There's only 2 users who use our WiFi also. Nothing in way of boxes etc, always been in same place. Come to mention I think it's after the rubbish 360 update what every one complained about. In past it totally deleted all my recordings and my reminders etc. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've moved your post to the TV360 forum if that's what you have, although it won't alter the diagnosis needed.

What matters here is not the type of programme you're watching, but how it's delivered. Live TV broadcasts don't use the internet, rendering the WiFi observation irrelevant IF that is what's affected - hence my comment previously about "pixellation on live TV"

If the picture breakup is on recorded content that would point at the fault being somewhere else, equally if it's on OnDemand and/or streaming content we need to look in another direction.

Where were you watching rugby last night? Was it on a live broadcast channel? Or recorded? Or via an internet-based means such as VoD or streaming? That's what matters to fixing this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Japitts

It's while i was watching live sports, rugby, football, F1etc

Also when it's recorded it records the pixilated recordings. It's so frustrating that thinking of looking through my contract to see if when not receiving my proper contractual rights to see if I can get rid of virgin and go to sky...

Hi japitts

Watching live fa cup now itv.

It freezes and pixilated.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case I refer to my previous post above for advice on your next steps.

Try ITV-SD or ITV+1 as a workaround.

Every time you add a reply, it potentially puts you down the staff queue for a response.

It's either your box or your signal as I watched the final on a ITV recording without any problems, except for the fact it stopped just before the final penalty because I didn't think I would need to add extra time.

As japitts has said you need to phone Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.