cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture pixelation on live TV - Signal quality "fair"

rkiley
Dialled in

Over the past 2 weeks or so I have been experiencing regular (albeit brief) picture pixalation when watching live TV.  Curiously, when watching Netflix, no such problems exist.

It seems bad on the channels I watch (BBC1 BBC2, C4).  When watching the Eurosport 4k (523 channel) when the image breaks up I fleetingly see a message which (I think) says that this channel is unavailable.  And, perhaps less than a second later the picture comes back -- and is well until the next pixelation incident.

I have rebooted the box and even done a factory reset (which is a pain as you then have to log back in to Iplayer and Netflix) -- but that made no different.

The HDMI cables are sound -- and if they were the problem, then why doesn't the problem occur when watching Netflix?

My 360 box is connected via an Ethernet connection. 

The Options > Diagnostics reports that the signal quality swiches between "fair" and "good" and connection speed is "high".

Is there anything I can do to improve the signal -- or do I need a VM engineer?

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

You've not said whether you watch BBC1, BBC2 & C4 in SD or HD - it won't make any difference to the end advice, but can sometimes help with identifying the issue. The Ethernet connection is for the internet, which supports OnDemand & streaming. Your live TV is delivered over the co-ax cable connection.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks -- It happens on all the live channels I view (BBC1, BBc2, C4, Eurosport).- which I watch in HD (or in the case of Eurosport 4k)  I will try disconnecting and reconnecting the co-axial cable and report back,

Unplugging and plugging the coaxial cable into the box hasn't made any difference.  Anything else I can try?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per all the previous advice. Reboot your box once to eliminate a software gremlin. Then...

Assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks -- I have now lost all live TV channels (BBC1, BBC 2 etc).  I will give them a call.

Good Morning @rkiley, can you please confirm if the channels have returned and are now broadcasting without any picture issues, or is this still ongoing?

Looking into your account, the set top box appears to be showing as unresponsive. Is the set top box currently switched on?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn