cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture flickering

wellyz
Tuning in

We've recently had the Ultimate Oomph bundle and while the broadband is good the TV service leaves a lot to be desired. We came from Sky Q and thought the Ultimate package works make up for the change...

However every channel has a constant flickering on it, it's so subtle but when the image isn't moving i.e news channels or scenery images there's a strobing/flickering effect.

I'm using the hdmi cable that came with the the 360 box and tried others with no joy, I've turned it off and unplugged hdmi for 15 mins also, no effect. I've switched between "automatic" and 4K resolution settings, no change. I've used all the picture modes on the TV even the low latency 'game' mode, still flickering.

The TV is an LG CX, the 360 is connected directly to it via hdmi. The Sky Q box was connected the same and picture was perfect. 

Any ideas on what else I can try before submitting a complaint? 

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the same problem happen on...

1: Live TV, 2: Recorded programmes, 3: OnDemand/streaming?

These 3 ways of watching TV are fed differently, but share the common video output - so might help narrow things down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Japitts,

Apologies, should have mentioned that this flickering/strobing is not present on any other input just the 360 box. I've moved the inputs around to other hdmi ports to rule out a faulty port on the TV to no avail.

It is present on recordings too. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So to clarify - are you saying this issue isn't present on streaming/OnDemand programmes? I only ask in order to establish whether all output from your 360 is affected (suggesting a possible HDMI issue) or whether only certain content is doing it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A quick google search shows that picture flickering is common on the LG CX series, although mainly seen by gamers.

The following page shows how to troubleshoot your LG picture, hope it helps Troubleshooting-flickering-video-tv 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

IoanaNeacsu
Up to speed

Automatic and 4K are basically the same, it's still 2160p. Try to move it to 1080p and see if it's better.

It's not there on catchup. 

I've got a PS4 and PS5 connected to the TV, I also use LGs webOS to stream Netflix, Prime video and YouTube, none of these flicker. This only happens when watching live content on the 360 box and did not happen when I was watching live TV on the Sky Q box a month ago before we switched to virgin.. so not an issue with the LG tv. 

I've set the picture on the 360 box to 1080 and its still flickering, I've put it back to automatic for now.

Are there any other settings I can change to troubleshoot this? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So to clarify - OnDemand isn't affected but live TV & recordings are?

If so... any particular channels? HD/SD?