cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Pixelation

Bob_Jankers
On our wavelength

Hi.

Our TV picture breaks up on a daily basis and appears pixilated.  Sometimes it briefly displays "Channel Failed" before resuming.  It happens on any TV channel at any time, day or night.  Not sure if this is normal as we've only recently joined VM. We use the 360 box with 100Mb/s broadband.

I don't think it's related to signal strength as switching to a standard aerial through my TV works without any problems.

Do we need to book an engineer already?

Thanks

72 REPLIES 72

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally, I don't think your issues have anything to do with that status page entry and are unrelated.

Only VM staff running diagnostics could be sure either way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @Bob_Jankers

Thanks for coming back to us.

I have looked into your account and can see that there is an SNR issue in your area, that is due to be resolved on 17th May, this would be the cause of the issues that you're having with your tv service.

Regards

Steven_L

Hi  .

Thank you for the information.  I don't know what SNR means but the service status webpage doesn't mention any known issues?  I've been advised not to depend on the information on this webpage, but it would it good if this page could be made more reliable in future, please see the screenshot below for reference?

Bob_Jankers_0-1620677921480.png

I'll update this thread again after 17th when hopefully these teething problems will be resolved by then.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

SNR refers to "Signal to Noise Ratio" - SNR faults can cause poor signal levels affecting TV & broadband services.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

As SNR usually causes intermittent issues rather than total loss of service it's not communicated via the service status page - however you may be able to get updates on this by calling 0800 561 0061. If not feel free to pop back here and we can take another look.

Tom

Hi @Steven_L & @

So we are unfortunately still getting this annoying random pixelation on our TV service despite the problem being supposedly fixed by now?

Since SNR problems are not indicated on the service status webpage, please can you advise the next steps we need to take to resolve these teething issues?

Thanks

Hi Bob,

It sounds more and more like you have a faulty box, can you watch iPlayer and ondemand without any problem until you get an engineer.

Hi @roy247.

We don't often watch iPlayer so unfortunately can't be sure if this issue affects that service.  Do you know the best way to book an engineer?  Is there a website form, or do we need to call a particular number?

Thanks 

The quickest way is to phone150 from your virgin phone, but as the Forum team have already been involved then maybe they will pick up your answers and book an engineer visit.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bob_Jankers wrote:

We don't often watch iPlayer so unfortunately can't be sure if this issue affects that service.  Do you know the best way to book an engineer?  Is there a website form, or do we need to call a particular number?

Are you able to try watching an iPlayer/OD programme, just to check? Picking a programme from the backwards guide, and watching it - should take all of 5 minutes.

Reporting (and following up on) faults is just the same way it's always been - either calling into 150 (or 0345 4541111 from any other phone), or waiting on here for forum staff to pick it up.

Hopefully, since this thread has already had staff input, it should already be on their radar. If not, and you confirm the symptoms are the same (i.e. live TV affected, VoD & iPlayer ok), then we can give them a gentle nudge if necessary...