cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterning last night

g0akc
Problem sorter

We noticed severe patterning or ghosting - bands moving across the picture - on ITV, and probably other channels, last night - during 'Vera' for example.

We didn't see it after I switched to a Freesat (satellite) feed, on a different HDMI input.

I was used to seeing this far more with analogue signals in the past of course. Digital should behave much differently.....

There was very high pressure and chance of interference from the continent last night.  I didn't try much terrestrial (Freeview) coverage.  We're in the East of England.

Did anyone else notice this?

Do Virgin take an off air feed (from an antenna)?  I assumed it was a wholesale fibre connection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

Interestingly the recording made at the same time doesn't seem to be affected - so I can only guess this was RF getting into the TV via the terrestrial antenna at the time (but satellite input was not affected) so a bit odd.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi g0akc, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with banding on your live TV service. I've checked your box stats this afternoon and can see that 3 of the tuners are showing some errors and some signal levels will need to be adjusted. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi g0akc,

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email.

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs