cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial recording of programs

Billyfife
Joining in

Hi

i have an intermittent problem that only part records the programs. 
This means that when try and watch our recording the program just jumps and we miss a large chunk of or program. The chunk missing can be anywhere within the recorder program.

thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KStevens99
On our wavelength

@billyfife I have had the exact same problem with my 360 TV box. I though initially it was a hard drive issue so had the box replaced with another one but the problem still happens occasionally. What I have noticed is this issue only ever happens when I am watching a programme as it is recording - for example I start watching a recording of a programme 20 minutes after it has started, so I am watching it as it records. When I watch a programme as it records I've had the partial recording issue. It has never happened though when I watch a programme after the recording has finished. These partial recordings are they happening on programmes you are watching as they record?

I am convinced it is a software issue with the 360 system which I think is an absolute piece of garbage not fit for purpose. Never had these issues with V6 but unfortunately once you change over you are stuck with 360.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

roy247
Community elder

Could be a possible hard drive problem, can you pause live TV and then carry on watching without any problems, basically you are doing a recording, another test you can do is if you have been watching a channel for up to 3 hours you should be able to rewind back and watch without any problems.

If you have problems doing either of these then it looks like you will need the box replacing.

A call to Virgin will be required, 150 from your Virgin phone, mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone to report a fault.

When phoning choose the option to report a fault, then ignore all the options offered and you should then be placed into a queue to speak to someone.

KStevens99
On our wavelength

@billyfife I have had the exact same problem with my 360 TV box. I though initially it was a hard drive issue so had the box replaced with another one but the problem still happens occasionally. What I have noticed is this issue only ever happens when I am watching a programme as it is recording - for example I start watching a recording of a programme 20 minutes after it has started, so I am watching it as it records. When I watch a programme as it records I've had the partial recording issue. It has never happened though when I watch a programme after the recording has finished. These partial recordings are they happening on programmes you are watching as they record?

I am convinced it is a software issue with the 360 system which I think is an absolute piece of garbage not fit for purpose. Never had these issues with V6 but unfortunately once you change over you are stuck with 360.

Hi @Billyfife 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been unable to watch the full recording of programs. We can understand the inconvenience this may have caused you. Was the great advice given by @KStevens99 help explain what may be going on? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua_A,

Yes I still need a resolution.

Sure, the comments/issues from the respondent you mentioned did mirror my own experience.

BUT, even after replacing the box he still has the same problems.

Unless you are suggesting this issue is ‘feature’ and not a fault, then I don’t see how I can be satisfied with the sub-standard performance of your product.

As this forum was NOT my first stop to resolve this issue. It is my intention to move to another  supplier when my contract allows. 

Poor product and worse support

Agree 100%. The 360 software is a complete joke, since I "upgraded" I have had nothing but problems. The recording issue is farcical as is VM's complete and utter inability resolving the issue. I've phoned numerous times and had engineers out on more than one occasion and it is still happening. Now VM are doing everything in their power to ignore the issue.

Thanks for getting back to us Billyfife, I appreciate it must be a frustrating issue.

Do you have no issues with live channels whatsoever? It could be a potential signal issue. Have you had this problem since upgrading to 360?

Have you also been able to test the rewind feature too as suggested by roy247?

Thank you

Beth

Hi

no issue with live channels

no issue with rewind

The issue has been there, intermittently, since the start of 360

Bill

Hi Billy 👋 thanks for getting back to us! 

Really sorry to hear the issue is still ongoing. I can see that there is a local outage affecting you at the moment that may be contributing to these service issues. It's been identified as an open outage since 12.02.23 and is currently due to end on 01.03.23. I'd like to send a technician out to you to investigate further and replace the box if needed, however we will need to wait until the confirmed end of the outage to do this. Any appointments booked whilst the outage is ongoing may be cancelled as a result of the ongoing works to try and resolve the outage / local issues. 

The outage is an SNR outage - SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the Broadband signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system). The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution. 

If you can please get back in touch on this thread following the end of the outage if the issues are still ongoing, we can then send you a PM 📩 and arrange this for you. You can keep up to date with the outage here 👉 https://virg.in/service or call 📞0800 561 0061. 

I appreciate this may be frustrating, and that you have had a poor experience here since upgrading your service. If you would like to raise a complaint on this basis please also let us know and we can offer some support with this in the meantime. 

Thank you for your patience whilst we get this sorted! Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Molly,

I’ll be back in touch on the 1st of March

regards