cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental pin issues

zoeloftus
Joining in

Hello.  I have put a pin in as I have 4 children at home and don’t want easy access to the Adult channels.   However any programme listed as a 12 and over needs the pin to work ??? So I ask  What is the point of a  pin ? I need to give them it for them to be able to watch a film .. I have tried the lock channels section in parental controls and only putting the adult channels in there but it locks everything over a 12 so this needs sorting ASAP

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky and  ITV2 amongst others have started showing programs during daytime hours that would ordinarily have been behind a watershed. 

Sky Cinema, Sky Documentaries and Sky Comedy all have mandatory PIN protection for shows they broadcast outside the watershed hours.

The only way they're allowed to do this is have mandatory daytime protection as set out by ofcom.org.uk/mandatory-daytime-protection 

On Demand also has PIN protection based on the watershed hours.

This  also applies to some Startover programs, if you have missed the start you can watch live without a pin, but if you watch from the start you need a pin

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are these programmes on Sky channels by any chance?

It sounds like you might be describing Mandatory Daytime Protection PINs, which are an Ofcom requirement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello yes Sky Movie channels,  surely there should be a different pin for Adult channels or what is the point if a pin in the first place ?   

'surely there should be a different pin for Adult channels'

imagine having different pins for different age categories. people complain now about just one pin whether they have children or not.

'what is the point of a pin in the first place ?'

to stop any children seeing older/adult related themes.

all argued on here and the sky forum over many years.

Not a pin for different age brackets just adult channels 

@newapollo wrote:

Sky and  ITV2 amongst others have started showing programs during daytime hours that would ordinarily have been behind a watershed. 

Sky Cinema, Sky Documentaries and Sky Comedy all have mandatory PIN protection for shows they broadcast outside the watershed hours.

The only way they're allowed to do this is have mandatory daytime protection as set out by ofcom.org.uk/mandatory-daytime-protection 

On Demand also has PIN protection based on the watershed hours.

This  also applies to some Startover programs, if you have missed the start you can watch live without a pin, but if you watch from the start you need a pin

Can I therefore ask - if "Sky Cinema, Sky Documentaries and Sky Comedy all have mandatory PIN protection for shows they broadcast outside the watershed hours" why aren't these same channels behind  PIN protection on the TiVo platform and only via the 360 ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's the programme that's PIN protected, not the channel per se. And they're PIN protected all platforms. Sky, 360 & TiVo.

That's why if you leave one of the channels on live, you'll quite often be prompted for the PIN when a new programme starts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LittleMick73
Superstar

Hi this has been batted around the forum for years it is what it is, and virgin has no control over it. You can go to the settings and via the pin link and activate hide adult channels. Regards Micky