cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCM output only on ITV HD

TouchingCloth
Up to speed

Search didn't bring up a result so apologies if this has been Answered. 

ITV HD is only outputting  PCM audio to my soundbar. All others, ITV2 HD etc. are outputting Dolby. ITV HD via Freeview or Freesat is outputting Dolby. Is this an issue with my eqipment or generally. 

12 REPLIES 12

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

Channels don't broadcast Dolby Digital on every programme. At the moment my V6 tells me its PCM on ITV HD but that changes.

Hi Ninja,

Yes I'm aware that not all programs are Dolby, but I'm comparing the output with the same programs via freeview and Freesat. Both of these are transitting a Dolby soundtrack and my 360 box is not. 

ITV2, 3 and 4HD do output Dolby when available just not ITV HD. I had a similar issue last week with several HD chanels outputting PCM and discovered it was only happening when viewing on a profile. Switching to all users brought them back.

I have deleted profiles now and rebooted but ITV is stuck fast on PCM

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried altering the audio settings on your 360?

Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Audio

Always Convert, Follow Content or Disabled?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Newappolo,

Yes, I  always set it to follow content as I have an atmos set up and always convert is no good for that.

Its only ITV HD that is causing me an issue. Converting just give me fake 5.1. Switching inputs has it working perfectly on other platforms. 

Very odd

ozsat
Superstar

There have been some posts in various forums over the years about this. A quick search start through one up from 2013.

ITVHD has always been PCM only on VirginMedia.  It is still 2.0 and does not effect the audible sound.

ITV still haven't discovered 5.1 and beyond.

ITVHD on my Freeview also says PCM.

@TouchingCloth wrote:

Search didn't bring up a result so apologies if this has been Answered. 

ITV HD is only outputting  PCM audio to my soundbar. All others, ITV2 HD etc. are outputting Dolby. ITV HD via Freeview or Freesat is outputting Dolby. Is this an issue with my eqipment or generally. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Thanks Ozsat,

I have to admit I only searched the 360 forum thinking it may be specifically related to the new box or software.

As mentioned previously,  I had an issue where several HD channels that generally transmit Dolby were showing as PCM and more by luck than judgement realised it was related to having inadvertently selected a profile rather than all users. This is obviously an issue in itself,but easily solved by switching to all users. 

I only realised I had an issue with ITV HD when I watched football the other night.  I was switching between virgin, freeview and freesat to compare the HD Quality and notice virgin was only outputting PCM. The other two were showing as Dolby on my soundbar. It didn't affect the viewing/listening in reality as it was in an empty stadium haha. 

The info page on the Virgin box is useless too. Audio is listed as EN.....wow. it also doesn't differentiate HD or 4K, but thats another story

So ITV HD plus some other channels are stereo only on Virgin Media. The delivery method is PCM. PCM can delivery 5.1 too.

Hi Ninja, 

Thats interesting. It may be the case, but the audio does seem flat compared to the free options showing as Dolby digital.

The initial reason for thinking I had a problem was because ITV's flagship channel was only outputting PCM, while 2, 3, and 4 register as Dolby digital.

I will have to compare when  film is showing that utilizes the surround with true 5.1 rather than creating a spatial effect using all available speakers

You will not find a 5.1 film on any of the ITV channels.

All the other major channels have some 5.1 audio.

@TouchingCloth wrote:

Hi Ninja, 

Thats interesting. It may be the case, but the audio does seem flat compared to the free options showing as Dolby digital.

The initial reason for thinking I had a problem was because ITV's flagship channel was only outputting PCM, while 2, 3, and 4 register as Dolby digital.

I will have to compare when  film is showing that utilizes the surround with true 5.1 rather than creating a spatial effect using all available speakers

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5