cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On demand drop outs

Bolehill
Dialled in

I'm experiencing a high level of drop outs when playing 'on demand' programming via Virgin Media (The Batman, Madam Blanc Mysteries, Christmas Carole to name a few). The error code varies (probably four or five different ones) and playback can usually be picked up again from where it dropped out. In a one hour programme this is happening five or six times.

I can watch the same programme via catchup on my LG TV (also connected to the superhub) without drop outs (e.g. Madam Blanc Mysteries).

Streaming apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ITVX) viewed via the VM 360 box are rock solid - no dropouts at all.

I've tried a reboot of the V360 box and the Hub and this hasn't improved things.

System: V360, Superhub 4, connected via Netgear AV1200 powerline adaptors.
TV also connected to the Superhub 4 via powerline adaptor.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Chris

16 REPLIES 16

The pod's should be free an engineer to move the hub would be £25, less cabling with the pod's to keep the OH happy.

HI Bolehill, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I can see that the hub was rebooted 4 days ago? Can you confirm if you are still having issues with the service?

Would you be able to create a BQM here and let us know the results? 

Kind regards, Chris. 

@ Chris_W1, Thanks for getting in touch.

The issue with on-demand service delivered over powerline/ethernet still persists.

There are some things I find curious though:

1 - Over powerline/ethernet, all the embedded apps in my LG TV work flawlessly (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, iPlayer, ITVX, My5, C4).

2 - Over powerline/ethernet, the apps within the 360 box also work as above.

3 - Over powerline/ethernet, on-demand content via the 360 box is prone to dropouts, significantly so. However, if I switch to wireless, the performance is as good as 1 above.

4 - If I run a superlong ethernet cable from the hub to the 360 box, no issues with on-demand services.

My plan is to run an ethernet cable across the outside of the house between the hub and the 360 box. This should take care of the issue with dropouts and give me some decent bandwidth. I'm going to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I tackle this, so will stick with wireless for the time being.

I have created the BQM as requested and will post back in this thread when something is available

Thanks again for getting in touch,

Chris

BQM BQM_3-12-23.pngfor the 3rd Jan as requested...

Image removed for some reason...

Try this instead:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a3790a7eeaf29065ea126fdcfbe41d03d31733da

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bolehill wrote:

Final question, would the wifi pod give better download speed?  Always good to have a bit in reserve!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm on the M600 speed. With my wifi pod I'm getting 90Mbps download and 40Mbps upload in the kitchen when connecting via an ethernet cable to a TV - the TV is restricted to 100Mbps

My Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (SM-X205) is showing the network speed as 390Mbps, and using Ooklah to measure the actual speed it's showing  292 download and 42.3 Mbps upload in both kitchen and garden

Powerlines should be on the same electrical circuit as your hub to have the best speed and connection, although electrical cables are not designed to carry internet data as they are prone to picking up interference., so I would definitely suggest trying the VM pods.

You need to use the Connect app to scan the wifi speeds, (find a location where the speed is less than 20Mbps so yuo can order a pod.)

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/booster-and-wi-fi-pods 

Can I order a WiFi Pod on the Virgin Media Connect app?

Yes, but only if you’re not getting download speeds of at least 20Mbps in every room.

Our home scan feature will guide you from room to room to carry out WiFi speed tests. If it finds a potential signal-less spot, it’ll test our broadband speed to the WiFi Hub to make sure there isn’t a problem with your network.

If everything’s okay with the Hub, the app will take you through to order a WiFi Pod to help boost your WiFi connection.

You can also call 150 from a VM landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone to order a pod. You can have a maximum of three  (they will only send out one at a time, and there must be an interval of at least one week before a second order will be accepted)

Call around 8am if possible when lines first open and are least busy.

They are free since you are on a Volt bundle. 

Incidentally your BQM doesn't look too bad - the photo of the BQM you posted was rejected as it showed your IP address.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

I did a comprehensive scan as soon as all the new 360 kit arrived.  Decent enough wi-fi results:

Bedroom 1 - Down 31 Mbps, Up 34 Mbps

Bedroom 2 - Down 28 Mbps, Up 34 Mbps

Dining Room - Down 37 Mbps, Up 34 Mbps

Living Room - Down 33 Mbps, Up 46 Mbps

Network speed over wi-fi -   Down 317 Mbps, Up 38.5 Mbps (Think Broadband)

Network speed over co-ax - Down 783 Mbps, Up 48.6 Mbps (Think Broadband)

Overall, I'm happy.  Broadband speed is fast enough, reliability is generally good as is availability.  Within my own four walls, the ethernet connection is my intended solution once the weather improves - the garden's like treacle and I'm pretty sure the ladder will sink!

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Chris