cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy V6 box after Horizon update

harryglan
Tuning in

Just installed a new VM360 mini box and received a VM360 software update to a V6 box.  Both work fine but the V6 box now makes a constant irritating whirring noise when on and in standby which it didn't do before the Horizon firmware update,  I think the Horizon update is causing either the V6 hard disk or the fan to whirr constantly, which is strange because I thought that all Horizon recordings were stored remotely.  Any solutions to this problem would be welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

@harryglan wrote:

Just installed a new VM360 mini box and received a VM360 software update to a V6 box.  Both work fine but the V6 box now makes a constant irritating whirring noise when on and in standby which it didn't do before the Horizon firmware update,  I think the Horizon update is causing either the V6 hard disk or the fan to whirr constantly, which is strange because I thought that all Horizon recordings were stored remotely.  Any solutions to this problem would be welcome.

Regarding recordings first, recordings are saved on your old V6 box which is now your main 360 box and are streamed to your mini box.

As to the noise there has been a few threads about this after the software upgrade and I think they have all had the box replaced due to the fan. You could try doing a factory reset to see if that cures the problem and if it doesn't you will need to call Virgin, thats 150 on a Virgin phone.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@harryglan 

I've moved your post to the 360 board - if your boxes have been software-migrated, they're no longer V6's, but now 360.

If you've got a master & mini-360, all your recordings are now stored on your master box and the mini streams from that.

Is this noise happening when you're watching a recorded programme on the mini, as this would cause the master to be running the hard drive. Or if a recording is being made - that would also require HDD activity.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@harryglan wrote:

Regarding recordings first, recordings are saved on your old V6 box which is now your main 360 box and are streamed to your mini box.

As to the noise there has been a few threads about this after the software upgrade and I think they have all had the box replaced due to the fan. You could try doing a factory reset to see if that cures the problem and if it doesn't you will need to call Virgin, thats 150 on a Virgin phone.

Thanks Roy. So that's why the V6 box is suddenly working its socks off.  Both my wife's and my recordings are going in and streaming out plus any V6 pause live viewing overhead.  I'm not going to do an immediate V6 factory reset if it will delete all my wife's mini box recordings.  So I may have to live with the noise for while.

@harryglan wrote:

Thanks Roy. So that's why the V6 box is suddenly working its socks off.  Both my wife's and my recordings are going in and streaming out plus any V6 pause live viewing overhead.  I'm not going to do an immediate V6 factory reset if it will delete all my wife's mini box recordings.  So I may have to live with the noise for while.

The factory reset doesn't delete your recordings.

The term factory reset is a bit misleading, you get the option to keep your recordings or to delete everything, take option 1 to keep your recordings, you will have to sign into Netflix or anything like that again. Also from memory you need to turn Match frame rate back to on and it might be standby timer back to whatever you have it set to, and your Dolby Audio setting, I would have that set to follow content. It was only 2 or 3 settings that default, it also depends if you have changed any.

Hi @harryglan,

Welcome to our Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear your box is making a noise. 

I can see you have received some suggestions already from our Community. Thank you to all for your help so far 🙂

To echo what has already been said, I would advise a factory reset first to see if this helps in any way- you will get the option to keep your recordings. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you Ayisha and everyone who responded with helpful replies.  I'll try the factory reset and call 150 if it doesn't work.  On the other hand, if I accidently delete my wife's recordings I may be in no fit state to call anyone!

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @harryglan,

Fingers crossed the factory reset works then! Please do let us know if you need any more help!

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team