cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy 360 box

Ponowobo
On our wavelength

Since V6 box upgraded to 360, Fan/whine noise on both standby & on ( like quite a few others apparently).Contacted CS but no solution offered. Suggested I ‘monitored’ the situation.

I don’t need to monitor it, I need it fixed. It seems from online feedback from others dealing with same issue, the only solution that works is a replacement box. Since CS have obviously been briefed to avoid this, can someone from VM please respond here?

7 REPLIES 7

archercj
Fibre optic

Mine is the same and one of my boxes is in the bedroom and it takes an eternity to suspend.

I'm assuming the 360 firmware has a greater CPU impact and hence heats up more and thus requires more cooling down.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @Ponowobo, can you please confirm if the noise is still happening on the 360 box, since your post, and during a monitoring period?

Do you leave the box in standby at night, or is this switched off at the mains? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Ponowobo
On our wavelength

Hi, noise still there. Box is left on standby overnight. Noise only reduces after box has been shut down for 10 minutes but within  a few minutes of restart noise is back.

seems like a heat issue? (Box is in a well ventilated area and has no mat underneath)

Hi Ponowobo

Thanks for coming back to me. You'll need a tech as it's ongoing. I shall send you a PM now to sort this out.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Ponowobo

Thanks for joining me on PM. The engineer visit has been booked in. This will be viewable in the online account - virg.in/myVM - to reschedule / cancel etc. Yep just got your message about that haha 🙂

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Ponowobo
On our wavelength

Engineer replaced box. Much quieter but unfortunately replacement box had faulty cable connection causing pixellation & frozen channels.

re-contacted customer service & another engineer called following day to replace box again. All now seems OK.

Customer Services are resisting booking visits (obviously a policy exists to avoid box replacement whenever possible due to cost/chip shortages). Replacement units are normally re-furbished ones & it appears that only originally diagnosed faults are fixed before re-issue - so it’s a bit of a lottery!

Hi @Ponowobo thanks for your reply and confirmation.

Even though it took a couple of tries at this for you, I'm pleased this has finally been resolved!

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you ever need further help in future.

Many thanks

Tom_W