cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound from centre speaker thru av amp.

Mattg68
On our wavelength

Dolby digital set to always convert but no sound from centre speaker unless true 5.1. Suggests the conversion from stereo to Dolby surround isn't working. I can manually set the amp to surround but this shouldn't be necessary. Any suggestions other than changing the surround mode on the amp each time ?

21 REPLIES 21

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SpookyElectric1 

This will be due to the issues affecting  the channel 4 suite of channels with programs, text, pictures and sound on all broadcast formats.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/bake-off-day-brings-further-trouble-for-channel-4 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Outputting 5 channels but nothing from Centre is expected then ?

Which TV channels are not outputting centre?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Seems to be anything that is natively stereo.

If you want 5.1 all the time you have your workaround: use "Follow Content" and get your amp to output 5.1. I never do it this way as I want my AV receiver to output what it receives, but to each their own.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Agree but I raised the post as it seems the Always convert option isn't working properly. It shows 5.1 input into the amp but seems to still be set to Follow Content as only 2.0.

Anyone from Virgin able to confirm if there have been any firmware updates recently or if this is a known problem.

Hi Mattg68,

This is very strange. As far as I'm aware, we haven't received any other reports for the same issue. We aren't always made aware if a firmware update has been rolled out.

How are things now? Do you have multiple STBs in the home that are displaying the same issue?

Beth

Beth

Mattg68
On our wavelength

Hi Beth,

Yes, I tried with a mini STB and have same issue. Also tried optical instead of hdmi for audio but no joy.

I googled this same issue today and arrived here.

In order for me to avoid having sound go out of sync i have to select disabled for the dolby audio setting on the 360 box and have my av receiver do the conversion.

So i am not receiving the correct audio signal this way. Would be great if they could get the sound sync issue fixed and then we could select convert or follow on the 360 as intended.

Hi doc1964,

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing similar issues. Can you please clarify if you're experiencing sound issues directly from the 360 box, or are you using a third party sound system? 

Many thanks

Beth