cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ability to fast forward catch up

n_4man
Just joined

Hi

Just switched to Virgin TV and having difficulty understanding why shows on catch up do not allow user to fast forward.

receive message to the effect of ‘this channel cannot do this’

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nick

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TV360 has an option on some channels to "live restart" which allows you to start watching a selected programme from the start in the same way that iPlayer does for all other users.

The behaviour you've described is expected if you're using the Live restart option.

If you're sure that you are definitely using OnDemand, do you have any specific example of channels/programmes that you're having problems with? That will enable other 360 users to try replicating this.

It is worth mentioning that all VM TV boxes allow recording of programmes - and that will always be preferable to relying on CatchUp/OnDemand services.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Not checked every catch up channel but channel 4 channels don't allow you to fast forward, you might just want to skip the adverts paying them.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

Not checked every catch up channel but channel 4 channels don't allow you to fast forward, you might just want to skip the adverts paying them.

Are you answering for the branded apps Roy, or in general?

BBC VoD uses the iPlayer app, but every other channel/broadcaster uses the same IP-VoD platform.

That IP-VoD platform supports fast-forwarding regardless of which channel it's from.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

@japitts wrote:

@roy247 wrote:

Are you answering for the branded apps Roy, or in general?

BBC VoD uses the iPlayer app, but every other channel/broadcaster uses the same IP-VoD platform.

That IP-VoD platform supports fast-forwarding regardless of which channel it's from.

Just channels linked to channel 4 on the EPG that give you the option to Startover, start from the beginning, they don't allow you to fast forward when watching from the start, for example you look on the EPG and see something you want to watch and it's got the Startover symbol which gives you the option to watch live or from the start, if you select from the start you can't fast forward on channel 4 programmes, this may change with the All4 app but who knows, if it's a programme on say BBC1 it uses iPlayer and you can fast forward.

Edited to add that the message in the first post is what you receive when trying to fast forward channel 4 programmes using Startover.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I thought that was what you were getting at, Roy.

In other words, I agree it's likely that @n_4man  is using the live-restart option rather than "OnDemand" programmes, which is what CatchUp usually refers to.

roy247
Community elder

You need to 'upgrade' to 360 japitts so you can 'appreciate' all the benefits of 360. I think I got the words right.

While i remember HAPPY NEW YEAR

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And there's where we'll agree to disagree Roy.... 😀

By means of an explanation to the OP here...

CatchUp generally refers to programmes broadcast in (in most cases) the past 30days and available OnDemand a short time after broadcast. This should allow full rewind & fast-forwarding regardless of channel/programme/broadcaster.

The 360 has an additional option for "watch from start" which is what Roy & I are discussing - this lets you view certain channels/programmes "from the start" before they've finished, in the same way as the iPlayer app does for any BBC programme. If you do use this method, then you can't fast-forward.

A better option all-round, if you know you'll want to watch a particular programme, is to record it and be reliant purely on your 360's hard drive.

thrice
Superfast

If you are trying to fast-forward past the ads with Channel 4 on-demand or the All4 app then this can't be done. As I watch a lot of Channel 4 content this was something that annoyed the heck out of me. I upgraded to All4+ for a small monthly fee and can now view all Channel 4 content - including some Film4 and especially the Walter Presents European content - without any ads. Details here https://www.channel4.com/ Worth it IMO.