cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix sound issues

Scott0966
On our wavelength

Every now and then when I open Netflix I have no sound. Tonight it was just Stranger Things that had no sound. I had no issue a couple of hours ago. I tried one other title on Netflix and the sound was on. Other channels were working fine. 

I was accessing Netflix via the app on my tv360 box (recently updated from a V6 box by an engineer)

Tried switching off a couple of times but made no difference.

15 REPLIES 15

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @Scott0966, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and I'm sorry to hear of the sound issues on Netflix, when using the application on our set top box.

I've looked to see if there are any outages that may be effecting Netflix in your local area, and there doesn't appear to be any issues showing.

Can you tell me if you have any third party equipment connected, such as a sound bar?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

No 3rd party equipment.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Scott0966 

Have a look under Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output >

There are three options > Follow Content, PCM 5.1 (HDMI only), and PCM 2.0

Use 'Follow Content' for any bitstream audio like Atmos where it's available on content. Netflix will always use Follow Content.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'd seen that as an suggestion on another thread. Playing around with it seems to solve it eventually.

It was on follow content as default, and changing it to one of the others seems to work but then when I went to watch yesterday the same thing happened again (I guessed it might be to do with 'atmos' as other content works fine) - bit of a pain having to go into settings each time to try and get it to work as leaving it on follow content didn't seem to solve it.

Hey Scott0966, thank you for reaching back out and I am happy to see it is now working.

Can I just confirm if you ever had sound bars connected to the TV or it just the TV speakers as output? 

When you say Atmos is this a sound speaker which can also connect to the TV as an output? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Sadly it's only working intermittently. I went to watch it yesterday and again no sound

Atmos is Dolby Atmos which is what it says on Netflix. I have no soundbar connected to the box; only the HDMI cable to the TV

It says in the settings that Netflix will always use the follow source option, so I'm not sure messing around in the settings makes any difference but it seems to.

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @Scott0966 

Have a look under Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output >

There are three options > Follow Content, PCM 5.1 (HDMI only), and PCM 2.0

Use 'Follow Content' for any bitstream audio like Atmos where it's available on content. Netflix will always use Follow Content.

I thought that Netflix always followed content regardless of this setting?  Thats what it says on the box anyway?

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Scott0966,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about the sound issue on Netflix App via our TV box.

Could you please advise if you are able to check this on the smart TV app rather than the TV box (or another device like a laptop where you can log on to Netflix account from the browser for example), to see if by playing Stranger Things or similar on Netflix outside the box the issue persists?

Also, have you by any change checked with Netflix support on this so far?

Let me know if the above is an option and how things go since your last post, if any updates.
Happy to assist you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Scott0966
On our wavelength

I've never had an issue with either my PC, phone or laptop and until the upgrade to 360 a couple of weeks ago had never had an issue on the V6 box.

It could be coincidence that it only happens when I watch on the box, but I doubt it. I thought I'd saw a couple of other similar threads on here but had to ask because they hadn't been answered in a satisfactory way.