cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix Dark on TV6 Box

Ross2626
Tuning in

Hi I use Netflix on two seperate TV360 boxes, on two different TV's one Samsung and one Hisense.

When streaming through the TV360 box and the Samsung TV, Netflix is much darker, even to the point you cannot make out what is on screen, on normal TV Samsung the clarity is fine. The Hisense is much brighter, I wonder if anybody else experiences the same problems, some programmes I have to watch on the Hisense TV to see them.

Have looked at settings on the TV but makes no difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cje85
Trouble shooter

That seems to be a 2015 model with a low peak brightness.I expect it's not quite good enough to support HDR properly and is using the tricks described in the earlier link (https://www.wired.com/story/hdr-too-dark-how-to-fix-it/) to compensate. The HiSense will be much brighter and able to display HDR correctly. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do both TVs do HDR and at the same level?

Because we're so used to SDR TV which has a very limited range difference between 'black' and white, when you get a full HDR picture it can look odd and too dark

This could explain what you're seeing between the two TVs - https://www.wired.com/story/hdr-too-dark-how-to-fix-it/

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I’ll look into that

Rufus57
Up to speed

I doubt it is the issue but does your Samsung TV have a "calibrated for Netflix" setting like my Sony has? I switch mine to off as leaving it on darkens the picture on Netflix too much. I actually watch Netflix and other streaming providers through the native apps on my TV rather than through the Virgin apps as the PQ is better. Is this an option for you? When I do this some of the picture settings on my tv are over-rided to maximise the HDR quality. Basically, my only option is to choose Dolby Vision Bright or Dark. Possibly your Samsung may give you this option too?

Hi there @Ross2626

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear you have faced this issue with your Netflix! 

A big thank you to @BenMcr and @Rufus57 for their help and advise on this so far! Have you been able to try their suggestions? 

Thank you. 

I did look and found that the Hisense was HDR10, this one is fine. Couldn’t find much on the Samsung, but have found that if I play Netflix through the smart tv it is much brighter, than playing through the virgin box, not sure why?

cje85
Trouble shooter

What is the model number of the Samsung TV? 

Some TVs (mostly the lower models) struggle with HDR and the picture can look dark as a result.

UE48JU6445K

cje85
Trouble shooter

That seems to be a 2015 model with a low peak brightness.I expect it's not quite good enough to support HDR properly and is using the tricks described in the earlier link (https://www.wired.com/story/hdr-too-dark-how-to-fix-it/) to compensate. The HiSense will be much brighter and able to display HDR correctly. 

Hi @Ross2626 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Just a quick note to check in with you, that you now consider your issue resolved?  Massive thanks to your fellow community members who've offered their support.  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community members and indeed our forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R