cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly all movies need PIN

broxmeister
Tuning in

Nearly all movies require my PIN to watch them, is there any way of stopping the need for a PIN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

It's an ofcom requirement, you can download and read the full details Here 

Mandatory PIN A compulsory audience protection tool for consumers to restrict access to unsuitable content. This tool cannot be removed by the user and requires a PIN (personal information number) to be entered each time the user accesses the content. The PIN must be chosen by the account holder and allows only those authorised to view the content.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pay-per-view films require a PIN in order to confirm purchase

Films via Sky Cinema (assuming this is part of your package) often require a PIN entry due to Mandatory Daytime Protection requirements.

Which are you querying?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OFCOM mandates when a PIN is needed and that the PIN cannot be disabled.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

roy247
Community elder

It's an ofcom requirement, you can download and read the full details Here 

Mandatory PIN A compulsory audience protection tool for consumers to restrict access to unsuitable content. This tool cannot be removed by the user and requires a PIN (personal information number) to be entered each time the user accesses the content. The PIN must be chosen by the account holder and allows only those authorised to view the content.

It's the films on the various SKY cinema channels, the vast majority need the PIN. It wasn't as bad as this when I had the TIVO box.

Hi broxmeister,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're unhappy with the amount of times the box is asking for the PIN. 

As mentioned by our users above, if you have switched off parental controls then anytime it asks for a PIN will be due to watching content before the watershed. This is mandated by OFCOM and I can see a link has been given above to explain things in full. 

We will of course take on board your feedback but it looks as though with your issue, there is nothing we can do on this occasion. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello @Kath_F

This issue (aka feature) was not present before I upgraded to 360.

So are you saying that V6 and Tivo customers are breaching Ofcom's rules whereas 360 customers are not ???????????

It certainly was, entering a pin pre watershed is required on both my V6 boxes, as it was on my Tivo's before that.

The thing I find really odd with this is the same show on 2 different channels at the same time on same day have different pin requirements. Either a bug in the settings or the pin isn't set right. 

Example: Last week tonight with John Oliver sky comedy needed a pin but Sky max didn't. 

@Cueball99 wrote:

It certainly was, entering a pin pre watershed is required on both my V6 boxes, as it was on my Tivo's before that.

Well it never was for me prior to 360.  I've been a customer since prior to VM taking over from Telewest.  Perhaps your settings were different to mine ?