cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Virgin 360 recordings stutter intermittently

marianabothma
Tuning in

Hi,  I am a new customer to Virgin and getting a bit upset and wonder whether I did the right thing changing from the previous provider.   I cannot get any help section where I can talk to someone to tell me what to do.  My hubby reset the box and we still have stuttering recordings.

The tennis is so bad that I often miss out a very good point in the game.  Tour de France I also have problems with.  I missed the winning goal of our football game... so it is really, really not good.  All my recordings have this problem.

Please can someone tell an retired old lady what to do next.

21 REPLIES 21

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@marianabothmabecause I've moved your post from the V6 board to 360.

Firstly, how many boxes do you have? I only ask because if you have a multiroom setup, then the additional miniboxes don't have hard drives or recording capability and "stream" everything except live TV - which introduces a line of enquiry.

Assuming this is just one box we're talking about, the first check is whether live TV viewing is ok. If so, try pausing live TV for a short time and watch it delayed - that uses your hard drive in the same way as recordings do.

If your problem is being caused by HDD issues, your live TV will be fine but pausing will cause issues. If live TV is problematic, then it's likely you have signal issues.

Was your installed a manned one by a tech doing it for you? Or was it a QuickStart self-service install, where the kit was sent to you for installation?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tks for your reply

We only have one box.  The installation was done by one of Virgin's technicians.   Is there a tel number that I could use to talk to someone who can walk me through the whole problem.   As you would have noticed, I am an retiree and do not always understand the Technical jargon:)

Will do what you  said and then see what happens

tks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can call 150 from any VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone - to speak to a faults agent.

The tests I've suggested, will ID whether this is a box fault or potentially an install issue. I'd like to hope that if this was a manned install, the signal levels would have been checked already.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you, will do as you told and then see how to deal with it after

ozsat
Superstar

Is it only recordings stuttering or live tv too?

And is it all channels or just some?

@marianabothma wrote:

Hi,  I am a new customer to Virgin and getting a bit upset and wonder whether I did the right thing changing from the previous provider.   I cannot get any help section where I can talk to someone to tell me what to do.  My hubby reset the box and we still have stuttering recordings.

The tennis is so bad that I often miss out a very good point in the game.  Tour de France I also have problems with.  I missed the winning goal of our football game... so it is really, really not good.  All my recordings have this problem.

Please can someone tell an retired old lady what to do next.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Hi Ocsat. It does it with recordings and when I pause live TV and then play again. Not when I watch live TV

M

All recordings

Hi,

It does the stuttering when I look at live TV, pause and then play again

M

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To quote from my post-2 above... "If your problem is being caused by HDD issues, your live TV will be fine but pausing will cause issues. If live TV is problematic, then it's likely you have signal issues."

It sounds like all recorded & paused programmes are affected, so it sounds like your box has hard drive issues.

In which case, you have a choice of 2 ways to deal with this.

1: Call into VM Faults to report this - 150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, choose the "I have a fault" options, and explain to the agent what is happening - but I would strongly recommend you are quite clear about the symptoms. In other words, live TV is fine but all recorded & paused programmes are problematic.

2: Wait on here for VM staff to respond to this post. That will save you the explanation, but it may take a couple of days for them to respond - and every time someone other than the staff team adds to this thread, it drops down their queue. So leave this thread alone and wait.

The outcome is likely to be a tech visit with a view to your 360 box being replaced.