cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi room installation

CL9
Joining in

Hi - I’ve signed up to Virgin for our new home which is being refurbished- I’m. Currently with Sky so this is new to me..

I have asked for pre installation survey so that conduit could be installed to save digging up new proposed. Driveway, I also need advise re cable and connections for multi room.

can virgin cable terminate in say garage with router and then connect to all tv’s or does it have to be located by main TV? if so do we now use CAT6 rather than co-axial cable to connect from this point - or can all TV’s go to router location? I’ve tried to look for basic wiring diagrams- but can find nothing!!

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You'll have a single co-ax cable running from the streetcab to your home. Externally or internally, this will be split out into separate co-ax cable runs (installed by VM) to each cablemodem and TV box. That co-ax provides the broadband/TV signals.

Separately, each TV box will need an internet connection - which can either be Ethernet cabled (recommended) or WiFi - via your homehub, this supports all the 'net based stuff such as OnDemand, streaming, EPG & software updates.

All the cabling down to each box is installed and supported by VM, and forms part of their network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

First of all, all TV boxes require a virginmedia coaxial connection as well as a Network connection either wired or wireless, the coaxial is used to supply the live channels and the network is for EPG, On Demand, Apps like iTunes, Netflix etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You'll have a single co-ax cable running from the streetcab to your home. Externally or internally, this will be split out into separate co-ax cable runs (installed by VM) to each cablemodem and TV box. That co-ax provides the broadband/TV signals.

Separately, each TV box will need an internet connection - which can either be Ethernet cabled (recommended) or WiFi - via your homehub, this supports all the 'net based stuff such as OnDemand, streaming, EPG & software updates.

All the cabling down to each box is installed and supported by VM, and forms part of their network.

Thank you - assume coaxial can be standard as I’m currently installing cables? Can write both co-ax & CAT6 to each TV point.

the other question is location of incoming virgin cable - does this have to be at main TV?  And how is router connected?

thanks again…

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The coaxial cable can only be installed by VM as they use specialized cable that is triple screened, what I would recommend is to put in place some draw cords to allow VM to pull the cable when they do the install.

The incoming cable can be positioned where you require it, this would have to be discussed with the engineer when he comes to install there may be some limitations but only the engineer will be able to advise.

Regards Mike

Thanks for comments, but it all appears to be down to engineer turning up on the day - would be far simpler for all to have then turn up earlier or at least provide materials for us to install…..

would anyone have suitable contact numbers/emails as customer services have not been able to advise….

thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have any questions then the pre-installation and delivery team are on 0800 052 1734.

I'm not sure if they work weekends.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for guidance - will try and give them a call on this number..

Hi CL9,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm glad to see our community was able to assist with your query. 

I have taken a look on our side and can see you have spoken with the team. 

Please do let us know if you require any assistance in the future. 

^Martin