cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home tv installation

kestonhj21
Joining in

Hi,

I moved into a new home yesterday and brought Virgin broadband and TV with me.  The broadband was installed by the Virgin engineer and is working no problem.  However he advised to wait for Virgin to call me before plugging in the TV hub as if I just plug it in this could mess up my TV hub.  Has anyone experienced a similar scenario and can advise on next steps please?

As an aside, I have had issues with my security password from when I originally set up by account several years ago, is this easy to reset?  I also have a new account number, is this standard from Virgin to change the account number when you move home?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Keston

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @kestonhj21 

I hope you soon settle into your new home.

It's unusual to hear of an engineer advising not to plug in the set top box for the TV, however this may have been due to the national outage that suffered from on Thursday.   Due to the outage there were issues with new installs on Friday not being activated correctly which may have affected the TV side..

I suggest plugging in the set top box, make sure you also plug in the white coaxial cable as without that the set top box can't communicate with the servers to receive the activation signal

It might fail with error 7400, CS1011, CS1012 or S102. If this does happen you need to call 0800 953 9500 to activate the box. You will need the box serial number, and your account number and area code.

You could also try contacting  New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation. That would be options 1,1,1 and 4 if dialling 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or options 1,1,2 and 4  if dialling 0345 4541111 from any other phone

VM account numbers are based on the address so when you move home they create a new account.

As part of the home move process VM can/should perform a move and transfer for your details across from the old account to the new one.

You could call in and speak to the home move team and ask them to update this or Forum Staff may be able to do this for you, however it may take a couple of days. You can then ask them to either update your security password (after passing validation, they can ask other questions such as bank account details, payments etc) or send a reminder through the post.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @kestonhj21 

I hope you soon settle into your new home.

It's unusual to hear of an engineer advising not to plug in the set top box for the TV, however this may have been due to the national outage that suffered from on Thursday.   Due to the outage there were issues with new installs on Friday not being activated correctly which may have affected the TV side..

I suggest plugging in the set top box, make sure you also plug in the white coaxial cable as without that the set top box can't communicate with the servers to receive the activation signal

It might fail with error 7400, CS1011, CS1012 or S102. If this does happen you need to call 0800 953 9500 to activate the box. You will need the box serial number, and your account number and area code.

You could also try contacting  New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation. That would be options 1,1,1 and 4 if dialling 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or options 1,1,2 and 4  if dialling 0345 4541111 from any other phone

VM account numbers are based on the address so when you move home they create a new account.

As part of the home move process VM can/should perform a move and transfer for your details across from the old account to the new one.

You could call in and speak to the home move team and ask them to update this or Forum Staff may be able to do this for you, however it may take a couple of days. You can then ask them to either update your security password (after passing validation, they can ask other questions such as bank account details, payments etc) or send a reminder through the post.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kestonhj21 wrote:

Hi,

I moved into a new home yesterday and brought Virgin broadband and TV with me.  The broadband was installed by the Virgin engineer and is working no problem.  However he advised to wait for Virgin to call me before plugging in the TV hub as if I just plug it in this could mess up my TV hub.  Has anyone experienced a similar scenario and can advise on next steps please

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Connecting up equipment won't ever cause damage - if you power it up and it doesn't work due to a VM issue, that's another story.

It may also be useful to clarify what you mean by TV hub. You will probably have a broadband modem/router - that's commonly referred to as a Superhub - and your TV Set-top-box, be it a V6 or 360. The TV box - unless it's an older TiVo - will use the hub to connect to the internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks