cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini box opens Sony TV at Digital Tuner instead of HDMI

kteirvine
Dialled in

We've just got a TV360 mini box installed upstairs to work with an old (2007 but excellent) Sony Smart TV. I set the TV so that all inputs would be skipped except for HDMI. However, when we switch the minibox and TV on the TV defaults to its own digital tuner instead of the hdmi input. Therefore, everytime we switch on the TV & minibox we also have to press the input button to switch over to the minibox. Is it just because the TV is old or is there something that I'm missing? 

Also, I set the TV360 System setting for One Power to on. However, quite often only the mini box comes on and not the TV when pressing the power button (top right). I then also have to press the TV button (top left on TV360 remote). Am I just not pressing the power button hard or long enough?

Suggestions to both issues very much welcomed. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dear all, I've now found the paper manual which came with the TV and it makes no mention of having a separate HDMI Setup or being HDMI-CEC enabled. So the mystery of being unable to default to the HDMI input is solved. 😢

Thanks for all your help. It was very much appreciated. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kteirvine,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your TV and 360 boxes. We want to do our best to help with this. I am unable to locate your account to further look into this. Just to confirm, with the main TV box, do you get similar issues? Also, did you try programming your remote as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSloQ7y6xkk to power both the TV and the TV box?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @kteirvine 

The link posted by Akua_A is for the older V6/Tivo boxes.

The youtube link for 360 boxes is 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmfJiLO7yQ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @Akua_A

I have now changed my forum email address to the same as my account email, so you should be able to locate me now.

As I stated in my original post I have TV360 boxes. Thanks to @newapollo for providing the correct link, since the one you sent was for the TiVo & V6 remote.

I have no similar issues with the main TV360 box, which is linked to an Samsung TV and Samsung Soundbar downstairs, both less than one year old.

The issue exists solely with my Sony TV upstairs, which is linked to the TV360 minibox. I programmed the Virgin remote both using the key search method and the normal search (ie entered first 4 digits (KDL-) of the TV model (KDL-20S2030)). I also paired it to my Sony TV. There is no other equipment linked to it. The remote controls everything else without any issues.

I have to go through the following routine with the Virgin remote and minibox to bring them out of standby -

1) Press the Power switch (top right button), which brings the minibox out of standby, but doesn’t work for the TV.
2) 
Press the TV button (top left button) on the Virgin remote to turn the TV on. When the TV turns on it goes on to the TV's own inbuilt digital tuner, and not on to the HDMI input attached to the minibox.
3) Press the input button (bottom left button) to switch it to HDMI input. I have set the TV to skip all the other inputs so that it’s the only option, which at least saves me having to scroll down the list of inputs every time.

Strangely enough, if I use the power switch to put everything into standby it works on both the TV and the minibox. If I do it within a short period of time after powering off It will also work to bring both the TV and the minibox out of standby, and the TV goes straight on to the HDMI input! If I leave it all in standby for a while then I have to go through the initial routine again. It is extremely frustrating.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @kteirvine 

You could try the following (if you haven't done it already)

On the 360 go to Settings > System > One Power -  this can be either On or Off

If it's set to On then it enables connected devices to be turned on at the same time.

Also on the 360 under Settings > System > Standby power consumption >  set this to Fast Start  - it enables the 360 to wake up more quickly - it may be that if  this is set to Active start or Eco start that your TV isn't seeing the 360 box in enough time so it's just starting on the digital tuner

Some TV's require you to go into the TV settings and select the HDMI port that you want you want the TV to wake up on (start on) automatically.  I have an older Samsung which doesn't have this setting/function so it always starts on the inbuilt freeview channels

You may also have to set up your Sony TV to use HDMI-CEC so that it recognises other equipment is connected.  HDMI-CEC has different names on various TV makes, I believe it's called Bravia Sync on Sony TV's.

HDMI-CEC tends to be very picky about the order that devices are plugged in, it sometimes won't recognise that other equipment is connected if it can't perform a handshake.

I'm hoping it  won't come to this, but I had problems setting up a soundbar as the HDMI-CEC wasn’t working properly.

To fix it I had to remove all HDMI cables from the TV and turn off everything at the plug.

Then turn the TV on first. Next I had to plug the soundbar into HDMI port 2 on the TV and then power it on.

Then finally plug in my TV360 via the HDMI 1 power and power it on.

After doing that whenever I turn on my TV it starts on the 360 box channel and the sound works.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks @newapollo

I've already set One Power and Fast Start to On.

I have 4 HDMI points on the TV. In the settings it just shows one HDMI, I assume because that's the only one in use. I don't see anything that allows me to set a default.The Sony is a smart TV though, so I would have expected this facility to be there. I'm going to try putting the cable into the other HDMI points and see if that makes a difference. 

I suspect we might be in a similar situation to you with your Samsung and will just have to bite the bullet re the key pressing. Still doesn't explain why the Virgin remote can power OFF the minibox & TV together. 

I've got the user manual and a more in-depth reference guide for the TV, so will certainly have a further look into your HDMI-CEC suggestion. It's definitely worth a try.

I hate not being able to sort something like this, I'm like a dog with a bone! I've got stuff on the go just now, but will try and get a shot at it in the next few days and let you know how I get on. Thanks again 😃

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Plug the HDMI cable into HDMI 1 and, using the remote, select HDMI 1 as the source.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@kteirvine wrote:

I've already set One Power and Fast Start to On.

I have 4 HDMI points on the TV. In the settings it just shows one HDMI, I assume because that's the only one in use. I don't see anything that allows me to set a default.The Sony is a smart TV though, so I would have expected this facility to be there. I'm going to try putting the cable into the other HDMI points and see if that makes a difference. 

Have you posted the correct model number KDL-20S2030, Sony specs say 1 HDMI and no mention of Bravia Sync which is their version of HDMI control and is what the red power button would use, the white TV button uses infra red to turn the TV on.

Hi @Roger_Gooner

Thanks, where is that in the Virgin settings please? 

By remote I meant the TV remote, nothing to do with VM.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection