cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local News HD ? far from it

Bewlaybro
On our wavelength

Ok so after a long and rather annoying time waiting for my local News program "Look North" (West Yorkshire Area) on the BBC to finally arrive in glorious High Fidelity, the picture quality is totally dire.

However the ITV version of our local news "Calendar " is looking totally sharp and pristine.

It's like looking at TV the way it was in the eighties... why is this can anyone help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The full HD rollout on all TV platforms, plus the upgrade of some local studios may now be delayed until early 2023 due to budget restraints.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd-regional-roll-out-delay 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

ozsat
Superstar

Most of the BBC local regions are not yet ready for HD so you'll still see the local news in SD on the HD channel.

The move of the local channels to 101 HD on VM was to prevent the need for channel changing for the best quality picture on BBC1 and then switching to local news.

@Bewlaybro wrote:

Ok so after a long and rather annoying time waiting for my local News program "Look North" (West Yorkshire Area) on the BBC to finally arrive in glorious High Fidelity, the picture quality is totally dire.

However the ITV version of our local news "Calendar " is looking totally sharp and pristine.

It's like looking at TV the way it was in the eighties... why is this can anyone help ?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Bewlaybro
On our wavelength

Thanks for that, i did wonder 

Your region will automatically go HD once the BBC are done - but the end of their HD roll-out is about 12 months away.

chrisjames
Up to speed
Our local news, South Today, went fully HD a couple of weeks ago - this followed the BBC1 South channel going HD about a month prior to that. The picture on the local news is now pristine. It's worth the wait, but we were still about a year behind ITV.

We have South-Oxford here and the Oxfor bit is still in SD - you can see the big difference when they join the rest of the South mid-programme.

@chrisjames wrote:
Our local news, South Today, went fully HD a couple of weeks ago - this followed the BBC1 South channel going HD about a month prior to that. The picture on the local news is now pristine. It's worth the wait, but we were still about a year behind ITV.

Ozsat - I notced this too, deffo not HD for Oxford. But at least we don't need to change channel when it is on!

Look Northwest (Manchester) is certainly HD via Virgin, dunno about other platforms but in the Northwest of England we certainly have BBC1 regional news magazine in HD at 18:30 Mon - Fri ...

--

Ray Woodward

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The full HD rollout on all TV platforms, plus the upgrade of some local studios may now be delayed until early 2023 due to budget restraints.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd-regional-roll-out-delay 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Bewlaybro
On our wavelength

Well it looks like here in the Wakefield/Leeds/Dewsbury area we’re just going to have to wait 🙁