cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOSS OF ALL PROGRAMS SAVED ON HARD DRIVE

alex70
Tuning in

Overnight all our saved programs were deleted from the hard drive of our 360 box. We have two boxes, the other being a V6 box, and the 360 box will no longer allow me to make recordings as it automatically switches the recording across to the other box. So new recordings are still being done but only on the one box. I have gone through all the usual checks but I can only assume that the hard drive has gone on the 360 box. I am not a fan of phoning virgin media support and getting someone in god knows where, whom I struggle to understand so any advice would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can't have V6 & TV360 on the same account, the two run totally different software platforms much like Apple phones can't run Android. So which do you have? https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box if you're not sure - V6 have the TiVo logo in the top-right corner next to the video preview, 360's don't.

I suspect what you have is a V6 which has now been converted into a TV360-master (and is thus no longer a V6), and an additional TV360-mini - half the height without the hard drive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi There 

Thanks for that. You are right in that it was a V6 box which they have converted into a 360 and that one still works. The other box which doesn’t work is also a 360 full size box and not a mini box and this is the one not working. I definitely have 2 full sized boxes.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So you have 2 x TV360-master - what happens if you try pausing a live TV programme on the offending box? That's also a recording and uses the HDD in the same way.

If the box has a hard drive problem, then this is a quick way to identify it. Any faults can then be reported in the usual way - either calling in or waiting on here.

Any faulty TV360-masters that are additional multiroom boxes are often swapped out with TV360-minis, the platform is designed for only one master box and converted V6 are a mitigation for this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks again for that as I hadn’t thought of doing that. When I return home I will try it.

Pausing a live program on this box still works although the box will still not make recordings and any recordings that are set up on this box are still carried out on the other box. This was the box 99% of our recordings were on and something has happened to delete them all. It is just annoying to not understand what has happened if the hard drive is still functioning on live pause of a program. The box causing the problems is in effect now acting the same as a mini box would so I don’t suppose I am any worse off although I would like to understand why it appears to have changed it’s functionality overnight without me doing anything.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @alex70 

You can fine tune the recordings between both boxes if they are both main 360's by clicking on Record, then on the next screen click Advanced Options, then on the next screen click on Choose TV Box, then select the box, then click on Record. That program will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is one of the others

When going to Recordings > Recorded > Recorded you can select each box individually and the interface now lists the percentage used on each box (applies to upgraded V6 boxes as they all have hard drives)

You can't set the same series links to record on both boxes either, however you can fine tune series links to record on one box, irrespective of it being your default recording box.

When setting up a new series link go to Advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward. If though you've already got a series link set up for a particular program  and want to change it so it will record on the other box then you need to cancel that series link, and then set it up to record again, using the advanced options when you press record.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

Thank you for all above which has been a great help to an oldie like me. As you advised changing the selected box has worked. We have always only used the default box as we get nowhere near 1TB of saved recordings on one box never mind two.

Over Friday night something happened to delete all our recordings and changed the default box. Did virgin do an upgrade, it would be nice to know. However thanks to your help all is well and virgin should hire you as it is easier to deal with you than phone 150 and be asked to switch off this, that and the other.

Once again thank you.

Hi @alex70 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. 

Sorry to hear of the recording issues. I have done a system check and I will send you a PM now as there's a potential issue with one of the boxes

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @alex70 

Thanks for joining me on PM.

Let me know how the engineer visit goes

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill