cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 360 remote IR, or can the 360 box be hidden out of sight?

jonnywright
On our wavelength

I currently have a V6 box and the box itself is hidden away in another room with all the rest of the home network / AV equipment. As the V6 remote isn't IR and is some other wireless protocol, I can control the box without the need for any IR extenders etc.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the new 360 box / remote rely on IR, or are they also some other kind of wireless protocol?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

The 360 remote is RF to the 360 box and IR to the TV and soundbar, same as the V6 if I remember correctly.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

roy247
Community elder

The 360 remote is RF to the 360 box and IR to the TV and soundbar, same as the V6 if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the quick response. I've reached that dreaded time where I'm end of contract and need to jump through loads of hoops to get a half decent price (which will inevitably require new modem, TV box etc).

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jonnywright 

Moving to a 360 is still voluntary. The agent may try to entice you to swtich over but you can still keep your V6 if that's what you prefer.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

If you already have V6 boxes they can be software upgraded to 360, you will lose all your recordings, and if you have a hub 3 you don't need to replace it unless you get 1Gb.

Its just about cost for me. I've never managed to get a good deal without cancelling our contract and taking out a new one. I'll have a go at getting a half decent price but not holding my breath. Thanks everyone

Call 0345 454 1111 and go through the cancellation option, you should reach Retentions who will be able to sort you the best available offer, as mentioned previously the boxes are not mandatory to take so if you wish to keep the V6 you can do so without any issues. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

Just to be aware that when a 360 remote first pairs to the 360 box it does also use IR to do that. It's then RF between the remote and the 360 box after that.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own