cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change your BBC/ITV region?

Martin2345uk
Joining in

I live in Mid-Essex, and have always had the East/Anglia regions of BBC and ITV, but since getting Virgin Media I have the London region - is this something that can be changed at all?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is one where @nodrogd will know the detailed background, but as a headline answer, no you can't.

Virgin Media is a cable platform, the BBC/ITV regions you receive are dictated by the regional head-end you are connected to. Quite often you can find alternative regional channels around 85x & 87x EPG positions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Martin2345uk wrote:

I live in Mid-Essex, and have always had the East/Anglia regions of BBC and ITV, but since getting Virgin Media I have the London region - is this something that can be changed at all?

Thanks!

Cable TV in the UK operates under a franchising system. These franchises dictate both the area served by the local Headend, & the regional channels that must be provided by that Headend. There are some overlap areas where an additional feed is available (1 BBC region & up to 2 ITV), but if they don't come up on your box then you are stuck with what you have.

If you are lucky enough to be in an area served by the Basildon Headend you should be able to get ITV Anglia East on channel 870. However there is no alternative BBC available as Basildon also overlaps a large part of the South East region as well as the East & London. So for BBC East you will need to change the iPlayer region to East & view the local programmes via this method if you no longer have a rooftop aerial or dish.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

anfieldbanker
Tuning in

If you want to watch another BBC region you could always go via the BBC iPlayer. Open the app. Go to settings>Settings and Help>Other Settings>Change Location. There’s no fix for itv at present I’m afraid. 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Martin2345uk thanks posting and welcome back to our community.

I cannot offer anything to what our community have advised you.  Have you followed the advice regarding iPlayer? 

Regards

Lee_R