cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is TV360 inferior to what I currently have?

Steve1977
Dialled in

Always like new developments from Virgin and seeing TV 360 it looks pretty snazzy but is it ultimately what I currently have?

At the moment i have Ultimate oomph, multi room and on the second box it has its own hard drive and i can remote connect to this box and vice versa with the main box.

But is TV360 one main box with hard drive that connects to smaller satellite boxes that have no HD?

If so it sounds like an upgrade would infact be a downgrade. 

Just struggling to see the advantages of it so if any early adopters coyld advise that would be really useful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As explained by newapollo, if you as converting multiple V6 into 360, then all your boxes will retain their hard drives - mitigating one shortcoming of the new platform.

Functionally, 360 is very different to TiVo/V6 and it has both improvements and deficiencies. Some of those efficiencies will be improved with time, but in series links & recording functionality especially, I strongly recommend you do research into 360.

It's not a change you can reverse if you don't like the software - so whether you go for a migration or remain on TiVo/V6, I would recommend you do so on an informed basis.

Edit: You don't get satellite boxes as such. In TiVo/V6 land, additional boxes are fully functional with hard drives. In 360, new install additionals are minis without hard drives. Converting existing additional multi-room boxes is the exception.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Steve1977,

If you have two V6 boxes they will both receive the Horizon software as part of the regrade and you will still have the hard drive on both boxes.

However if one of the boxes is the older TIVO then it will be swapped out for a 360 minibox which doesn't have the hard drive. If this is the case for yourself then try to swap the TIVO for a V6 before going for the 360 regrade, that way you will still have 2 boxes with hard drives for recording.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yeah both of our boxes are V8...so for no extra cost we would keep the the two V8 boxes and get 2 satellite boxes and it will all be linked up as one seamlessly?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As explained by newapollo, if you as converting multiple V6 into 360, then all your boxes will retain their hard drives - mitigating one shortcoming of the new platform.

Functionally, 360 is very different to TiVo/V6 and it has both improvements and deficiencies. Some of those efficiencies will be improved with time, but in series links & recording functionality especially, I strongly recommend you do research into 360.

It's not a change you can reverse if you don't like the software - so whether you go for a migration or remain on TiVo/V6, I would recommend you do so on an informed basis.

Edit: You don't get satellite boxes as such. In TiVo/V6 land, additional boxes are fully functional with hard drives. In 360, new install additionals are minis without hard drives. Converting existing additional multi-room boxes is the exception.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Steve1977,

If you do decide to switch to the 360 you can have a maximum of 3 boxes on your account. You would be unable to have a 4th box of any description as they others don't work in tandem with the 360.

Should you want a third box it would be the mini without a hard drive, unless you added a 3rd V6 and then upgraded them all to the 360 at a later date.

A third box would be an extra £5 per month, and each box also needs a coaxial cable to connect to live TV.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To be clear, your two V6s will become two full TV 360 boxes, each with a hard disk. You will not get any additional ‘satellite’ boxes.