cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Freeview TV still available?

slackhead
On our wavelength

Hi

After quite a few years without TV, I thought I'd get Freeview TV working again.  I had a message to say my smartcard no longer worked and to phone VM, which I did.  The person I spoke to said there was no Freeview any more.

This seems a bit strange so I thought I'd ask here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The minimum (Freeview equivalent) is now called Mixit TV. If you want to add TV and get a current set top box, you should add Mixit TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The minimum (Freeview equivalent) is now called Mixit TV. If you want to add TV and get a current set top box, you should add Mixit TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

slackhead
On our wavelength

Thanks.  Is it free though?  The person I spoke to was trying to sell me an upgrade to get TV, but if it's going to mean extra monthly then I'd sooner buy a freeview STB plus an antenna.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And just to add, by means of clarification, Freeview is a terrestrial-based digital TV platform that has no more to do with Virgin Media than Sky does.

Ernie's advised on the VM TV packages that are broadly equivalent to Freeview in terms of channels available.

slackhead
On our wavelength

OK, thanks.  I'll go with a STB then.  Cheers.

Before Virgin Media took over Smallworld Media it did carry freeview as well as cable but this was discontinued as a part of the switch many years ago.

jscadden
Tuning in

You can still access Freeview TV. Some, but not all, Freeview channels are available with Virgin Media! You can install a separate terrestrial aerial on your TV which will receive all Freeview channels but you need either a set-top box or built-in Freeview. Handy for if Virgin Media TV goes down at any time.