cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent blackout of tv

Ieb37
Joining in

Had the TV6 box installed a few weeks ago but not had much chance to test it out since. Finally sat down last night to watch some tv and the picture and sound is ok for anywhere between 10 seconds to a minute then the screen goes black and the sound cuts out for a few seconds. This continues at random intervals, sometimes as much as 5 times per minute.

I checked all the connections, i tried rebooting, I changed over the HDMI cable. The situation continued. I then plugged the HDMI cable into HDMI2 from HDMI 1 on the tv and it worked perfectly! This was until I turned the tv off and when I switched it back on again... same problem.

The tv is Samsung UE65KS7000 and is reporting resolution as "UHD 3840x2160 / 50p HDMI UHD Color"

Any ideas? Thx!

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ieb37 wrote:

Had the TV6 box installed a few weeks ago

First thing - if you were a new TV customer recently, you would have had a 360, not a V6. It's the same hardware, but completely different software - and may thus change the course of advice.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-box has pictures of the equipment (the remote will be the giveaway) if you want to make sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Quite right, should have been 360 not TV6. Thanks!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi leb37,

If your TV has a port labelled  MHL then try using that as it  supports HDCP technology for viewing protected digital content.

A lot of V6 and 360 users get blank screens due to the transmitted program(s) being protected digital content

It's also better at converting the signal to UHD than one of the older standard HDMI ports.

The below info is from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-watching-4k-ultra-hd-content 

Using the correct HDMI on a 4K Ultra HD TV

Not all 4K Ultra HD TVs support HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI sockets. This is particularly true of older 4K Ultra HD TVs where HDCP 2.2 may only be supported on one HDMI socket.

On some popular 4K Ultra HD TVs the following HDMI sockets can be used:

• Samsung - HDMI (MHL) socket if available on your TV, otherwise HDMI 1
  • LG - HDMI 1, labelled as HDCP 2.2
  • Sony - please check the Sony website for your 4K Ultra HD TV model
  • Panasonic - HDMI 1, HDMI 3 or labelled as 4K

These are given as guidance only, so please check the manual for your TV to ensure you’re using the correct HDMI socket.

On some of the older threads in the V6 forums users have suggested it might also be worthwhile  contacting Samsung UK support as with older TV's one of their representatives can sometimes remotely access your TV to perform a HDMI EDID rewrite before establishing the connection with the VM box and the other HDMI-supported external devices.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Something else to eliminate is whether this issue occurs on live TV, OnDemand or recorded programmes?

That might narrow down potential causes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @leb37,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thank you for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues. I see @newapollo has provided some useful info 

As per @japitts post, can you confirm if the issue occurs on Live TV, On Demand or recorded? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs