cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Region / Correct Region Not Available as HD

Russthehead
Tuning in

I have pointed out to many local people over the years that everybody in my town (Stevenage, north Herts) has VM set to the incorrect region. Most people only ever see BBC London, when our correct region is East (West); and ITV London when our correct region is Anglia. At least, I know how to access our correct region using the 858/870 channels. I figured, that's just the way VM works - that everybody gets 101/103/113/114 set to London region with local channels relegated to 858/870. BBC is in the process of rolling out BBC One regions in HD - though I will not receive this as my primary BBC One region (as indicated by ch101) is set to London. Thus when 108 BBC One HD starts carrying local regions, I will see the incorrect programming. I suspect that my region could have been set correctly but maybe installation engineers are simply instructed to set everybody to London regardless. Firstly, is there any way that I can set my 101/(108)/103/113/114 to my correct region. Secondly, could installation engineers have set it up correctly if asked - so that I can inform anyone switching to VM in the future. Thirdly, if none of this is possible, why? Ancient analogue TV provided one's local region. Often, progress equates removal of options. The fact that my ITV alternate is Anglia in HD makes me strongly suspect I could have had my primary region set up correctly if only the installation engineer had asked. If upon installation, customer preference can be actioned, maybe it should be basic procedure to ask. Not everybody outside of London wishes to see London regional programming. Thanks in advance for any information.

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Russthehead 

You can use the iPlayer app on your box to get BBC local news from other areas so you can set that to your local area.

Open the iPlayer app and go to Settings > Settings & Help > Other Settings > Change location.

The following post by @nodrogd shows the local areas VM use Getting-a-local-BBC-programme 

This page shows the BBC statement on /bbc-one-hd-rollout-england and it appears that the iPlayer will receive the local HD versions first. 

" BBC One HD versions from regions in England will first become available to viewers on internet-connected TV platforms first, including Sky Glass from today - and in the following months, BBC iPlayer will also switch from standard definition to high definition for the regional versions of BBC One in England."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Russthehead wrote:

I have pointed out to many local people over the years that everybody in my town (Stevenage, north Herts) has VM set to the incorrect region. Most people only ever see BBC London, when our correct region is East (West); and ITV London when our correct region is Anglia. At least, I know how to access our correct region using the 858/870 channels. I figured, that's just the way VM works - that everybody gets 101/103/113/114 set to London region with local channels relegated to 858/870. BBC is in the process of rolling out BBC One regions in HD - though I will not receive this as my primary BBC One region (as indicated by ch101) is set to London. Thus when 108 BBC One HD starts carrying local regions, I will see the incorrect programming. I suspect that my region could have been set correctly but maybe installation engineers are simply instructed to set everybody to London regardless. Firstly, is there any way that I can set my 101/(108)/103/113/114 to my correct region. Secondly, could installation engineers have set it up correctly if asked - so that I can inform anyone switching to VM in the future. Thirdly, if none of this is possible, why? Ancient analogue TV provided one's local region. Often, progress equates removal of options. The fact that my ITV alternate is Anglia in HD makes me strongly suspect I could have had my primary region set up correctly if only the installation engineer had asked. If upon installation, customer preference can be actioned, maybe it should be basic procedure to ask. Not everybody outside of London wishes to see London regional programming. Thanks in advance for any information.

Cable television in the UK is set up on a franchising system. The country was carved up by the Cable Authority (now absorbed by OFCOM) into franchise areas that cable companies would bid for. In order to make the most money out of these franchises the region boundaries were “modified” & agreements reached that overlap areas could carry additional regions. This state still remains to this day. You are in a London franchise area, so in order to comply with the franchise agreement, London programmes most be carried on 101/103. The majority of the franchise resides in the London area. Cable equipment is headend driven & not postcode driven, so everyone in the area gets the same channels on the same numbers. Hence anyone in the overlap area must use the additional channels in the 800 range. And don’t worry. When BBC1 HD is introduced, as with ITV 1, the HD version will replace the SD one you currently have.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I knew this but thanks.

Thanks for your reply. Clearly, no-one cared about people getting the correct regional programmes for where they live. Defeats the entire purpose of local TV. Stevenage news is broadcast on BBC1 East (West) yet I have BBC London on 101. Therefore, when 108 goes BBC HD Local, mine will surely also be London. It's a mess. It basically ensures millions of people see local news that is not local. I know that I can get my local news on 858/870 & iPlayer. Just seems a bit stupid, that's all. And when next year, I do get BBC1 London HD, my local BBC1 will still be SD. Kind regards.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Russthehead wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Clearly, no-one cared about people getting the correct regional programmes for where they live. Defeats the entire purpose of local TV. Stevenage news is broadcast on BBC1 East (West) yet I have BBC London on 101. Therefore, when 108 goes BBC HD Local, mine will surely also be London. It's a mess. It basically ensures millions of people see local news that is not local. I know that I can get my local news on 858/870 & iPlayer. Just seems a bit stupid, that's all. And when next year, I do get BBC1 London HD, my local BBC1 will still be SD. Kind regards.

You are correct in that 101/108 will not change, otherwise everyone in Hatfield, Welwyn & Hertford will get the wrong region at the expense of you getting the right one. As stated before, the whole franchise gets the same channels on the same numbers as the boxes are attached to the same headend. Two things will happen when regional HD comes in on BBC1.

1) HD/SD swap. BBC1 London HD will move to 101 & SD will move to 108. ITV have removed most of their SD feeds now to reduce costs, so the BBC may do the same.

2) As has happened with ITV Anglia west, your additional BBC Cambridge region on 858 will change to HD when it becomes available.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks