cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to get update app after ordering ?

TVmadone
On our wavelength

I'm asking this as i've been told different times and dates now for a update of my V6 boxes to the new 360 software,  I had ordered twice now with being told that i can only have 2 of my 3 boxes updated so I agreed that only 2 to be done and waited for a week for the remotes and the update to come to my boxes.  

Then I phoned late afternoon on the day that update was to happen and as i've not had the remotes had not been posted. And told that I had not ordered 360 update and they can't see any orders for it.

So I told them that I had taken a day off for this and that feel this is not right.

So then they told me that I have to have all 3 boxes updated but have no software system to do this there end, so a person will have come to my home to do all 3 boxes and I have to pay for this to happen.

Why should I pay for a free service of the update to 360 software on the full package ?

how can someone coming to my home update my boxes when I have no app on my boxes and they can not do it on the virgin call centre ????

10 REPLIES 10

deans6571
Wise owl

@TVmadone wrote:

I'm asking this as i've been told different times and dates now for a update of my V6 boxes to the new 360 software,  I had ordered twice now with being told that i can only have 2 of my 3 boxes updated so I agreed that only 2 to be done and waited for a week for the remotes and the update to come to my boxes.  

Then I phoned late afternoon on the day that update was to happen and as i've not had the remotes had not been posted. And told that I had not ordered 360 update and they can't see any orders for it.

So I told them that I had taken a day off for this and that feel this is not right.

So then they told me that I have to have all 3 boxes updated but have no software system to do this there end, so a person will have come to my home to do all 3 boxes and I have to pay for this to happen.

Why should I pay for a free service of the update to 360 software on the full package ?

how can someone coming to my home update my boxes when I have no app on my boxes and they can not do it on the virgin call centre ????

I think if you just have one single box in the house then the 360 update can be 'pushed' to your box.

If you have several boxes, then unfortunately it often requires an engineer visit.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have two V6 boxes they can both be updated over the air, however if you have a third V6 box then it needs an engineer visit as the feeds/signals need recalibrating.  I believe the same applies if you have 2 V6 boxes and a TIVO.

EDIT - You can't have just one or two boxes working on the 360  Horizon horizon software and another additional box using  the old TIVO interface.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A couple of specifics that have been alluded to thus far...

You cannot mix TiVo/V6 & 360 in one home - you either have all of one, or all of both.

And yes, upto 2 x V6 can be OTA converted to 360, but not 3. Or TiVo - these will be swapped for either a master box or HDD-less mini, depending on your combinations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply. 

I know that they can do two v6 updates to 360 with sending boxes a app to click on by the computers at the call center.

I just don't understand that they are still putting out V6 boxes that load with Tivo software as I had a replacement for older Tivo box were the tuners had gone 10 days ago. 

Yet new customer are getting 360 at the start with opinions on a mini box that will have two remote control ..

I know that Virgin media has to rent the Tivo software but they own partly the 360 Horizon software that has been in Europe for some years with cable companies and other..

The 360 looks very interesting as it's like Youview software and also Freesat boxes software, that I have. 

I feel that I have been told different things by the call centre as they seem to be able to do it in 2 days not 8 by what has happened in my case. 

I don't understand how the visitor engineer how they get the 3 boxes to load the new software without any app put on the boxes????

Unless they have a copy of the app on a USB stick that they can use??

Or is it just a few buttons pushed in right order 🤔 

I was told that I can't keep one of boxes with the Tivo software on it and have 2 V6 with 360 software as I asked to save money and a vist by a engineer.  ( this was after a mess up when I was going to have just 2 boxes done)

TVmadone
On our wavelength

I've was told first that I could have two boxes updated over air by a app put on my boxes and other kept the Tivo software on which would be fine.  So I can keep v6 boxes. For free.

Now as now I've been told no I have to have all 3 updated or left with Tivo on... no mixing of software. 

I've been also told that I have to pay for this upgrade as I have to 3 boxes done .

So I would like to know why the cost if they have changed their own mind to allowing me to upgrade 2 and keeping Tivo on one ???

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TVmadone wrote:

I just don't understand that they are still putting out V6 boxes that load with Tivo software as I had a replacement for older Tivo box were the tuners had gone 10 days ago. 

Yet new customer are getting 360 at the start with opinions on a mini box that will have two remote control ..

The TiVo platform - which drives TiVo & V6 boxes, remains fully supported for existing customers and conversions to 360 are completely voluntary.

All new customers are being installed with 360, and have been since late last year, except for TV-only customers who still get a TiVo due to the broadband requirement of V6/360.

Existing TiVo customers who have VM broadband can also swap to a V6.

On TiVo-platform, multiroom boxes are fully functional second boxes with hard drives. On 360, new installs only have one HDD-master box and all additional boxes are HDD-less minis. Any additional TiVo boxes are swapped to minis if your master box is a V6.

Edited to add: You've made reference in another of your posts to "V6 with 360 software" - there's no such thing. Once a V6 is converted to a 360, it stops being a V6 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TVmadone
On our wavelength

Thanks for your kindness in the replying 

I have liked to record shows over the last decades so I've had many types of TV boxes from Sky, Top up TV, BT youview, Freesat boxes Freeview boxes, PC TV recordings and telewest/Virgin media boxes...

I don't like not having control on what and when I watch something like online services which are OK but your depending on too many items to see the show or film.. ( TV, Internet, box) 

Were you only need TV and box with a recording boxes...

So I will not be having a Virgin mini box .. 

I keep my V6 with Tivo if they say that I can't have 360 on the 3 boxes...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @TVmadone 

You can have the TV360 on three V6 boxes but it would need an engineer visit.

We normally advise customers that have a mixture of V6 and TIVO boxes to  ask if they switch the TIVO over to a V6 - that way if they do decide to later go ahead with the switch to 360 then all of their boxes will have hard drives.

Have a chat with retentions (thinking of leaving us) when dialling 150 from a VM landline or mobile.

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the normal front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali