cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you Disable apps on a 360 box?

ian_day
Joining in

I would like to be able to disable or at a minimum pin protect apps from being opened accessed without authorisation. 

I have kids that spend virtually every minute they can watching mindless youtube videos and don't want them to be able to access it via the box. 

13 REPLIES 13

Hey GrumbleDook,

Thanks for coming back to us this has been fed back, if you do need any further help/ support do not hesitate to come back to us, 

Regards

Paul.

Just to let others know, this is the fix that I have applied/testing.

As VM filtering is not granular, I’ve now set up 2 wired/wireless networks (not using the VM hub).

The main network allows me to identify individual devices and block internet access, including on a timed basis. The router I use attaches to the VM hub, which is in modem mode. If the VM hub had this feature it would be amazing.

The second network (using some old Apple kit), is connected via wire to the first one. It uses OpenDNS for its DNS, which gives me full control over filters just for this network. I then block YouTube as a domain. Anything I want to universally block YouTube and its apps I stick on this network.

I know I could setup a Raspberry Pi with tools to do some of this, but I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible. I know I could pick up more expensive and feature rich home networking kit, or even go for a more enterprise option … but it is frustrating to have to go to this extreme.

If we can’t sort out granular tools being part of the VM solution, and also stop 3rd parties grabbing data that I have not agreed to (a separate note will go to the VM DPO next week). 
If other have similar or better setups, I’m interested in hearing them.

Andy766702
On our wavelength

I've resorted to a very simple solution of hiding the remote from my son so he can only use the up and down channel buttons on the box. I have setup a profile for him with just kids channels and set it as the default profile. 

It would be nice to see better parental controls in the future such as;

app blocking, preventing access to recorded programs under different profiles. Prevent access to change profiles. Prevent access to settings.

Best research is to ask us what we want.

Hi @Andy766702 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

We will certainly pass your feedback on to the relevant teams.

Regards

Lee_R