cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet cable damaged.

spurdog
Tuning in

Hi.

I had the TV360 installed yesterday and at the time of installation the engineer could not get the ethernet connection to the router to work, so we settled on using WiFi.

I have since discovered that the cable itself is damaged and requires replacing however this entails replacing the small junction/splitter with all the wires attached.  Trying to find who I speak to rectify thisis proving problematic.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

John

22 REPLIES 22

Hi.

Yes your right  but from the outset I mentioned it was a splitter. The damaged cable should plug into an ethernet port on my hub 4. ( although I do use a switch as i use modem mode). That is the reason I mentioned ethernet cable, on reflection I sould have just called it the splitter.

John

Sorry the last post should read, "the ethernet connection is intended to be plugged into the 360 TV box" -  not the hub.

John. 

roy247
Community elder

Hello again spurdog,

Is that a Virgin supplied part, I don't know all the spltters virgin use but thought they were all 1 coax in and 2 coax out, or isn't that ethernet cable connected to the splitter.

Hi.

Yes it is supplied by virgin. It consists of a coaxial  IN on one end and on the other  a coaxial OUT  and ethernet cable that go to the Hub 4.  It also has similar cables that connect to the 360 tv box. It is the ethernet cable that connects to the 360 that is damaged.  Unfortunately all these cables are one sealed unit.

I hope this describes it a little more clearly. 

John

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

That's a weird way that virgin are doing it. Just looked up an image of the back of  hub 4 and can see a coax connector, which is how I would have expected it to connect to the outside line

As I said it's a coax splitter. A tech should be sent round to replace the damaged coax cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi

There certainly is no need for an engineer, 

A. They could just send the splitter, as it is a simple job to connect. However, I'm not too concerned if I receive  one or otherwise as B below shows.

B. I am happy with my current setup by running it through my switch and using my own ethernet cable.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate your time and help.

John

roy247
Community elder

Hi spurdog,

About 1min 54seconds in this Video they call it a connector cable, maybe this will help someone identify the cable you need.

I haven't seen a splitter before with the ethernet cable attached, used to be coax cable from wall to spltter, then 2 coax's one to hub and one to the TV box, and a ethernet cable from hub to box, it used to be so easy. 🙂

Hi.

Yes, I know what part you are talking about coaxial IN and two maybe three coaxils OUT.   They call it progress,  it does make you wonder!!

John

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

I wonder why they never got an extra port built into the Hub 4s if the inbound connection is due to be an Ethernet cable. You're effectively down to 3 useable Ethernet ports straight away, which increases the chance that people are going to have to use their hubs in modem mode.